Dan Pink’s Drive

Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates UsDrive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel H. Pink

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’m writing a super short version of this now because Good Reads ate the longer version I wrote earlier…

Dan Pink’s Drive is a non-fiction book exploring the idea of motivation.

The book opens by looking at research that suggests carrot-and-stick motivational techniques are effective. Digging a bit deeper, Pink argues that carrot-and-stick methods are motivating only for tasks that are simple and mechanical, and examines research that shows rewards and punishments are actually de-motivating for tasks that require thought and creativity.

Next, Pink looks at what he suggests are better motivators for those tasks that require thought and creativity. Those things are Autonomy, Mastery, and Purpose. In examining each of these, he explains how and why each is motivational, and also introduces ideas to implement such motivators into one’s personal or professional life.

The last part of the book is a reference guide with a bunch of resources further explaining how to implement Autonomy, Mastery, and Purpose in life, and also resources for deeper reading on these topics.

Overall, I quite liked Dan Pink’s Drive. I thought it was both informative and practical. I also personally resonated with it as I see Autonomy, Mastery, and Purpose as big motivators in doing work I enjoy.

View all my reviews

The post Dan Pink’s Drive appeared first on 夢と愛の千夜一夜.