Monthly Archives: October 2014

Computer Using Educators of British Columbia (CUEBC)

The CUEBC conference was held on October 24th 2014.

Keynote Speaker

The conference began with an excellent keynote speaker named Will Richardson.  Mr. Richardson emphasized the pivotal role that technology has begun to play in our classrooms, and highlighted the importance of embracing technology as a way to transform education. Much of what Mr. Richardson spoke of resonated with me, and has influenced the way I approach lessons in my classroom.

Mr. Richardson discussed the importance of fostering conditions that make students want to learn more. He shares my belief that promoting discovery of content through problem solving, building, playing, and creating will better result in long lasting comprehension due to the constructive nature of the learning taking place. Mr. Richardson had an excellent idea about creating integrated “missions” for students instead of specific subjects. For example, “the elimination of hunger,” which can be approached from biological, statistical, and humanities perspectives.

In order to maximize discovery, classroom walls need to become much thinner so that students can reach out and communicate to experts, a feat possible with current technology. With the radically changed classrooms, student self-regulation becomes increasingly important as students learn to navigate through, and use the information online.

Workshops

The first workshop I attended was held by Bryson Norrish, a Google Certified Teacher in Vancouver. Mr. Norrish explored just over 20 apps/websites that could be used in the classroom to support learning. I plan to test out and try as many of the apps as I can in search of those that fulfill the “Redefinition” category of the SAMR model, promoting transformation in education. Mr. Norrish also mentioned that we could apply to the Google Teacher Academy, and if selected, we could go to Google for a 2 day workshop. I would love to do this, as I have a strong passion for technology integration in the classroom.

The second workshop I attended was held by Bryan Hughes, a North Vancouver teacher. Mr. Hughes explored the potential for iBeacon use in the classroom; Bluetooth beacons which connect the physical world with digital devices. Unfortunately, these particular beacons required Macintosh Operating systems. However, upon watching the presentation I was able to relate beacon use to QR codes and began brainstorming many ways in which QR codes could be used in the classroom to facilitate Total Physical Response activities.

The final workshop I attended was on Digital Citizenship and Social Media with students. The workshop touched on adolescent brain development as it relates to social media use, an awareness of social media driven envy, and the importance of constant critical analysis of what is seen online. With reference to Juan Enriquez’s TED talk, the workshop reinforced the permanency of online behaviour.