Just another UBC Blogs site

River Rock Casino Slots: A penny a game? Not really.

After turning 19 last July, I finally had the chance to go to a casino at River Rock last night. It was definitely a fun experience, not to mention an ROI of 400% (for all you accountants out there).

As noob as we are, a couple of my friends and I went to the slots while a few of the other more “pro” headed towards the blackjack and roulette tables. After that night, I finally realized why so many people go and how easy it is to fall into gambling addiction. Heck, I wanted to go again today! What I also realized is that the marketing mix is rather unique compared to typical goods and services.

Product: Varieties of slots (over 900), different gambling games including blackjack, roulette, baccarat, craps and more, poker rooms, liquor service, live entertainment, 24 hour international food court and free coffee, tea and soft drinks for players

Price: From lowest stakes of 1 cent slots to whomping $2500 bets on table games!

Place: Easy-access (connected to Canada Line), nearby hotels attracting lots of tourists

Promotion: Canada Line, billboards at River Rock visible to passengers of the Canada Line, website

It is amazingly freaky how one can win/lose massive amounts of money in a matter of seconds. In a way, when people gamble, it is like free marketing because when people win, they come back!

Anyway, I ended up playing the powerstrike slots. What was really attractive about this was well first of all…a spinning car on top of it. But that you can win free games, which ultimately won me a net gain of $60 (may not be a lot for some people…I swear people stared at us weird when we said we won 2 bucks). Another lucky friend of mine had even won $100 from the slots. It was a good night indeed.

« »