Nintendo has done it once again. Notable for being innovative and family oriented (eg. Wii, original DS), Nintendo has introduced the new DS that offers the function of three-dimensional graphics! After reading Jennifer Chu’s blog about the DS, I agree with many of the things that she said and also talk about the competitive advantage that new Nintendo 3DS everyone is crazed about now has over it’s competitors!

I think Nintendo has really done a great job at adding value to consumers this time around with the 3DS after its last innovation with the DSi. They have finally added features that was offered by one of it’s biggest rivals, Sony PSP. It includes features like an analog control for precision movement compared to just the up, down, left, right direction pad, a new home button that allows users to do different things at once instead of being constrained to just the game or music and a memory card slot. These features had already been implemented in the Sony PSPs since it’s first generation, so Nintendo has definitely lowered Sony’s competitive advantage. Not only have they been able to match Sony, but also countered with new innovative features that has increased convenience and user-friendliness:

• The most obvious one of course: 3D graphics
  • An extendable stylus to adjust to your own comfort
  • Motion and gyro sensor that increases interactivity
  • Social features called the Streetpass and Spotpass

As Jennifered mentioned on her blog, Nintendo uses the AIDA model quite effectively. Just looking at the website, the first words you see is “Read 3D Graphics. No Glasses Needed”. Attention is instantly captured. I found myself interested and scrolling down to look at all the features. After watching their promo video, I was convinced I must have one!