Kielburger Supports His Charity with a Social Enterprise

After our lecture on social entrepreneurs, I was inspired to write a blog post about one, and so I chose Craig Kielburger, one of Canada’s activists and social entrepreneurs, who also happens to be from my hometown, Thornhill Ontario. When he was 13 he found an organization called Free the Children to help the fight against child labour in developing countries. Since then, he has also created Me to We, a social enterprise. Me to We provides volunteer trips for people to work on Free the Children sites, and also sells clothing and accessories.

A goup of volunteers from Me to We helps to build a school in Ecuador

Half of the profiits are donated to Free the Children, and the other half are re-invested back into the enterprise to keep it sustainable. I find it very interesting that Kielburger created a social enterprise to help support his own charity, which in a way makes not only his social enterprise self-sustainable but also his charity, as he is helping to support it himself. I also found learning about social enterprises very interesting because it opened up a new world of possibilities to me that I can do with my business degree from Sauder.

I suggest you all read more about Me to We on their website, it’s a pretty cool organization.