05. PARACHUTES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B-treTvwqQ
A string of short videos I’ve taken during my stay thus far.

Being in Japan for around a month now, I’m beginning to find my way! While the roads here may be narrow and curvy, I’m building a sense of belonging and each day feels more natural and more comfortable. Like the many stray cats that sneak around the streets of Japan, I’m starting to call these neighbourhoods “my neighbourhoods.” They’re my streets. Back off unless you’re a part of my gang—which reminds me, when I was walking by a river with some friends, they joked about how many bodies the Yakuza have probably dumped into it. To be honest, I’m not sure if they were punchlines or more… statistical facts.

Waterlogged bodies aside, I had Sophia University’s orientation. While most of the day consisted of speeches from certain department heads and advisors, it was the first I saw the other international students. It felt odd. To be called an “international student” was almost alarming, if not unnatural. For the longest time, I had the privilege of being a native to my own campuses, my own schools, but this time I was the outsider knocking on the gates. At the same time, being called an “international student” was enthralling. Finally, I had the privilege of experiencing an exchange student’s university life. It’s a little nerve-wracking, a little scary sure, but the goosebumps that pepper my skin remind me that I’m diving in headfirst with no parachute. I’m ready to experience a year at Sophia to the fullest and as cliched as that may be, there really is no other way to express that seemingly hedonistic desire.

The tour that followed our orientation introduced us to our supporter students: students from Sophia who have volunteered to help us throughout the course of the year. From there, we also became more friendly with the students assigned to our groups. It was the first stage in building relationships on campus. Since everyone came abroad, everyone had that particular common thread strung between each other so it was easier to make friends, to ask questions and to realize that I’m not alone in my experiences here. Two days later, we had a welcome party that featured more speeches and orientations. However this time they had food. Tenouttaten, five stars, best picture, game of the year, nobel prizes—all of them. It is amazing how much a social event can improve when there are trays of freshly-sliced sushi, succulent fruits and jam-packed dumplings greeting you by the door. Afterwards, we had another gathering at an Izakaya (Japanese drinking establishment) of sorts, headed by the students who ran the clubs responsible for cultural exchanges between students.

My university life is juuust around the corner and having already made so many connections, I’m ready to jump in. This time with a parachute.

2 thoughts on “05. PARACHUTES