Task 4: Manual Scripts

For Task 4, I wrote a diary entry:

I almost exclusively type when I write, and almost never write by hand. I think this may be obvious from the neatness and legibility (or lack thereof) in my writing. I did find this task somewhat difficult, as I havenโ€™t written this much by hand in a very long time. I found that it took longer, as I can type much faster. My hand also started to hurt a bit by the end! I actually used to have very beautiful cursive, as I was required in elementary school to write everything in cursive, and was required to practice regularly. Once I got to high school, however, it was no longer required, and I decided to switch to printing for some reason. By university, typing was standard, and my skill at writing by hand deteriorated steadily from then on.

When I made a mistake, I either crossed or scribbled it out, or tried to go back and write over it and squeeze in missing letters, for example. I essentially did not edit my work, and had to think a bit more about it before putting it to the page, but it does also limit the editing that I could do. If I wanted to do more than extremely minor word changes, I would need to rewrite the entire document. Writing by hand decreased the amount of editing that I normally do substantially.

The two most significant differences that I found between typing and writing by hand are speed and ease of editing. I could have typed this same thing in half the time, and I also would have been able to edit it and improve the grammar, structure, and overall flow. I certainly prefer typing, as I feel that it produces a better end product faster. The fact that I am much better at it than writing by hand plays a big part in that, as it is much easier to read what I type than what I write by hand due to my poor handwriting skills!

6 thoughts on “Task 4: Manual Scripts

1. Hi Brian,
    When I view your handwriting, it looks like a font having a unique style which actually looks uniform and neat to me. I found some of my old high school writing last week (an entire binder of English!) which I almost posted because it was so meticulously neat, unlike my handwriting now. Of course we received marks for our notes then and there were no word processors (don’t ask). Some one once told me that a combination of printing and handwriting, they called speedwriting, was much more efficient than the handwriting we were taught. Computers have really changed writing as you say you are “able to edit it and improve the grammar, structure, and overall flow.” Even the way student edit and revise is changing from the linear “writing process” we were taught with the use of computers.

• Hi Rebecca,
      That’s interesting that you think it is neat! I even have trouble reading my own writing, which is another demonstration of how rarely I write by hand. That’s a good insight about how the writing process is changing. I remember being taught a very strict method of essay writing, where the introductory paragraph introduced your topic, then three sentences that each summarize the point of the three body paragraphs, and then a sentence that summarizes the concluding paragraph. Once you had that, you proceeded to write the rest of the essay, following what you wrote in the introduction. This makes sense when you have to write in a linear fashion, but certainly constrains your writing and prevents changes in thought partway through the writing process.

2. Hi Brian,

I really like your points about handwriting quality deteriorating with lack of use. It’s interesting that you prefer typing for speed and legibility (very practical!) but part of me can’t help but lean back on handwriting.

It seems like you read whatever you write afterwards, while I do not so legibility is not always a concern (oops on my end). I definitely agree that typing allows more editing prowess and makes something polished right away.

Perhaps I’m just very nostalgic and easily distracted by the internet when I’m typing ๐Ÿ™‚

• Hi Linda,
      Yes, I think my writing process has changed as I transitioned to writing with a computer. I typically write, then read through it all, then edit and re-write, read through again, etc. I also tend to jump around in my writing as thoughts occur to me. Now that I am so used to writing this way, writing by hand becomes extra frustrating!

3. Brian,

I heard that many times as a grade four teacher….’my hand hurts’. hahaha

I find that the older I get, the more my printing is getting messier. Probably because my audience is only myself and I don’t care if it is messy and I can read it. I used to teach Kindergarten and can do perfect printing on command, but find that when taking notes for ETEC courses (which I do by hand), my brain cant keep up to getting the words down if I print neatly. And if I slow down, my old brain can’t remember what I wanted to write!

I often think of the lack of cursive that is being taught nowadays and how kids (like my 9 and 12 year old sons) will grow up without a signature. My son says he’ll just use his fingerprint instead!

Valerie

• Hi Valerie,
      Yes, the common refrain of the child learning to write! ๐Ÿ™‚ I wonder if you get the same with learning to type? ‘My hand hurts, you’re giving me carpal tunnel!’

Funny that you mention signatures. I used to have a perfectly legible signature, written in very neat cursive. Slowly over time my signature devolved. I still write it in cursive, but there is no way you would be able to guess what my name was by my signature. It is essentially just a scribble now. It is now more a work of abstract art that is loosely inspired by my name.