Task #6 – An Emoji Story

Please click here first to read my emoji story!

This process was much more challenging that I had originally envisioned. Upon first glance, the assignment seemed fairly easy, for it seemed that my only task was to  insert some emoticons on a page to tell a story. However, once I began the process, I found myself struggling a bit to apply details to what I was trying to “write”.

The process did not start out very challenging at first. The title of the movie was quite easy to produce with emojis. I decided to start with the title of the movie right from the start because I felt it would make it easier for the viewer to decipher the images in the synopsis. As you will see when reading the emoji title, very few symbols were needed and I relied on the symbols to act as placeholder for the actual words in the title (it is quite obvious, actually). Another reason that I started with the title is because the title is short, simple and does a good job of explaining to the reader what the story is about.

The biggest challenge for me came when writing the synopsis. I chose the work because it is a fairly well-known film, so chances are that most people would already have an idea about the plot. In terms of visualization, I felt that it would be feasible to have the emoji synopsis to be understandable because the main characters are animals, and these symbols can be easily found in the emoji keyboard. Also, my son has decided to watch this film over 10 times in the past week for some reason, so it was definitely at the front of my mind when sitting down to do the assignment. However, in the case of someone viewing my assignment that has never seen the movie (despite it being over 25 years old), I wanted to be as clear and precise in the synopsis as I could. This was surprisingly challenging though. Representing the main character with symbols was fairly easy, but trying to explain other details as the plot moved along was a bit more difficult. I leaned more towards using emojis to represent ideas in the synopsis over syllables and words, because I felt that would make it easier for the viewer to understand the plot. This process also made me realize that emojis are much more useful for conveying tone and emotion over specific words/phrases. The precision of meaning that comes with written words tends to get lost using just emojis, and they are much better suited as supplemental communication tools than being primary ones.

2 thoughts on “Task #6 – An Emoji Story

1. Is this the Lion King?
    I think that you were able to represent key parts of the movie and I think that I am able to deduce what you were trying to say. I also found that for my story I was lacking images to represent different parts of the story so parts of the story are missing. But I think that you were able to represent the main events of the movie. I did not try this in my story but do you think that it would have been helpful to change the colour of your lines to represent different characters?

• Yes, you got it, it is definitely the Lion King! I figured the title would be given away easily because the symbols were easy to find for that. I do agree with you that changing the colour of the lines to represent different characters might have been helpful. Thanks for the great suggestion!