LIBE 467 Blog Theme 2 Reference Services

Reflection:

I have only recently fully understood what exactly a reference resource really is. Yes I knew about encyclopedias and typical non-fiction books but I was not fully confident in my knowledge of what these resources could look like and how to direct students in finding them. This theme really helped me flush out what a reference resource is, and also what our school’s library has to offer and perhaps where the collection is heading,
After learning about the wide selection of print and digital sources that are available for students, I explored those materials at my school library and familiarized where they could be found (Encyclopedias, almanacs, Atlases, handbooks, digital resources-World Book Online and other district databases). Prior to learning about these school-based resources, I always saw students using Google to search for information-now I am able to direct students to visit World Book Online and to give it a try or they other resources available through our school district.
Here is our school’s website and some of the resources available online: DIGITAL RESOURCES – H. D. Stafford Middle Library Learning Commons (weebly.com)
I still think our learning commons has a lot of work to do in regards to promoting these digital resources and weeding and replacing some of our print options. I did not realize that many in-print resources are on there way to being obsolete before taking this course. Non-fiction print resources are extremely expensive and tend to become inaccurate to quick! I do believe that digital is the way to go in regards to reference materials. I do however, think that this shift requires TL’s to constantly be demonstrating how to use these resources and where to find them or else they collect virtual dust and take up valuable space and sometimes eat away at already small budgets.
I find it shocking to witness how much libraries have changed since I was in school. I remember rarely using computers, more Encyclopedias, and handbooks for research and the thrill of  signing books out to read. Now, fast forward to 2022, students are using iPads and tablets to search for information and are less interested in looking through our dated non-fiction book selection.
Here is a video I found that really highlight how libraries have changed (Although its probably already outdated now too!)
Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URXUUA5cfpo
As Riedling mentioned in her text, “The digital information revolution has resulted in the most marked changes in the types of reference sources and services used in the school library” (Riedling, p. 17).  Thus, as school libraries are gradually (some slower than others) changing to meet the needs of 21st century learners, the TLs roles and responsibilities are changing as well. This blog  post will outline the modern day TL reference services:
·         Reference Interviews
·         Collaboration with colleagues
·         Managing Reference Collections
·         Evaluating Reference Services

Reference Interviews (theme 2 lesson 5)

One of the TL’s main roles is to help students and staff find reference resources that will assist them with their projects and assignments. In chapter nine of Riedling’s text, the author emphasized an important method to understand students and their needs: Reference Interview (communication). According to Riedling, the term ‘Reference Interview” is defined as the following- “a conversation between the school library media specialist and the student, for the purpose of clarifying the student’s needs and aiding in meeting those needs (determining what they want)” (Riedling, p. 99). I like how Riedling describes this because the definition is open and can definitely be non-formal, which is usually how my interviews go with the students and staff I get to work with.
Currently, I work one day in the learning commons and the rest as a resource teacher at another school. This makes my role a little tricky as I feel like it has taken me longer to get to know the school, the collection and to build relationships because of the lack of time. n my school library, quite a few students approach me and ask for book recommendations. I feel that learning more about the library collection, current trends, and using the guiding questions above will help me become more comfortable to recommend and assist students with their literacy needs.

Collaboration:

I have really come to appreciate how important collaboration is for the TL, the school and the learning commons. In fact, i may argue it is the most important part of the job. From our readings I came across this quote, “Instruction on information skills and the use of reference materials should involve a collaborative effort by the classroom teacher who is the subject expert, and the teacher-librarian, the information specialist. Numerous research studies have indicated that this is not only an effective form of instruction, but also improves student achievement” (Mueller, p.1, Theme two, lesson 5). Without collaboration a lot of the fantastic resources and books we have go unused and the potential for creating wonderful learning opportunities may dwindle.
In order for students to successfully learn how to find, comprehend, and present information, collaborating with colleagues is critical. Due to budget cuts and lack of TL time, both TLs and classroom teachers need to be creative in order to improve students’ information literacy skills (Mueller, pg. 1, Theme 2, lesson 5).
I found this video on YouTube that really highlights the importance of teacher librarian collaboration and really reinforces what our readings this week underlined:
As I stated before, being a TL only one day a week (on Fridays when many stats and pro d days fall) I feel like my collaboration and relationship building has been a little slow. I would really like to amp up the collaboration I do with teachers I feel like Covid and stress has made a lot of teachers reluctant to collaborate. My goal is to add opportunities to collaborate with teachers and help aide them in their own practice. I want to even offer to “teach” subjects or lessons and take some of the stress off their plate in hopes that they will be more willing to collaborate in the future.
Managing Reference Collections:
As mentioned by Aaron Mueller, an important part of a TLs role is “to manage the school library resource centre and the entire collection of resources. The reference collection, both print and online, is an integral part of the collection” (Mueller, pg. 1, Theme 2, lesson 6).
My school district does not have an official handbook for what the TL’s role is but I did find some other useful information. here is a job description I found online :https://makeafuture.applytoeducation.com/Applicant/AttJobPosting.aspx?JOB_POSTING_ID=d957e452-7536-4607-8ce0-96b5a1b26b35
 I think the most pertinent role of the teacher as outlined from this description is having a firm grasp on technology. I think this is also true when it comes to managing reference collections as they are all moving towards digital collections.

Library Budget and Reference Materials:

The cost of reference resources (for both digital and print but especially then latter) need to be carefully considered when deciding to make a purchase. here are some considerations to have when thinking about making a purchase fot your reference resources and your learning commons:
1. Is it recommended by the district?
2. Does it follow purchasing or other guidelines set forth by the district or school?
3. Is it affordable?
4. Does it follow BC curriculum?
5. Will it be used by staff and students?
6. Has it been requested?
7. Does it offer a diverse perspective?
8. Is there room for it on the shelves? On our website?
9. Are other (free) similar choices available?
Our Learning commons budget is pretty thing. Therefore, we really need to mindfully purchase materials.
Cost of Reference Materials:
Before taking this course I was totally unaware of how expensive resource materials are! For example on amazon they have an outdated 2020 set of encylopedia for 1000$! https://www.amazon.ca/World-Book-Encyclopedia-General-Knowledge/dp/0716601206          
This just underlines the need to find digital resources that are free or low cost. The information is encyclopedias and many reference resources changes way too quickly to keep purchasing them in print. For our learning commons, we no longer purchase things like this. Instead we focus on finding free our low coast alternatives and focus on promoting them so students and staff know how and where to to find them.

Evaluation, Selection, and Acquisition of reference materials:

The role of a TL is downright overwhelming! I am still new to my role and figuring out how to best serve my school. I really have been made aware of new ways of thinking, especially in terms of resource materials and their digital and print forms. I think every school and their needs are different. For our school we are slowly moving away from print resources like encyclopedias for many reasons but especially cost and space. We are so lucky to have access to so many quality free, digital resources. The biggest hurdle is getting kids and staff to use them! Sometimes they can just sit in digital limbo. I think by curating a small list of resources and constantly promoting and demonstrating how to use them is the best bet to ensure they are used to their full potential. I think it is also equally important to stay on top of the curriculum and look for resources to help teachers and students a long the way. I find it very useful to keep analyzing the collection to find holes and purchase resources accordingly. Also, to work with the public library and district because they have so many wonderful resources and are constantly updating them too.

The world book encyclopedia 2020 – hardcover – 22 volume set – over 17,000 articles: World book: 9780716601203: Books. The World Book Encyclopedia 2020 – Hardcover – 22 Volume Set – Over 17,000 Articles: World Book: 9780716601203: Books – Amazon.ca. (n.d.). Retrieved February 24, 2022, from https://www.amazon.ca/World-Book-Encyclopedia-General-Knowledge/dp/0716601206

Marie, L. D. (n.d.). Digital Resources. H. D. Stafford Middle Library Learning Commons. Retrieved February 18, 2022, from https://hdstaffordlibrary.weebly.com/digital-resources.html

Riedling, Ann; Shake, Loretta; Houston, Cynthia. Reference Skills for the School Librarian: Tools and Tips. ABC-CLIO. Kindle Edition. https://www.amazon.ca/Reference-Skills-School-Librarian-Tools/dp/1586835289
Teacher Susan Lester discuss the dynamics of … – youtube. Collaboration Library. (n.d.). Retrieved February 18, 2022, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_flMmx2jVQ

Today’s Library Media Specialist – youtube. (n.d.). Retrieved February 18, 2022, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URXUUA5cfpo

2 Comments

Filed under Class Assignments

2 Responses to LIBE 467 Blog Theme 2 Reference Services

1. Beth

Hi Brittany,
    I enjoyed reading your reflective blog post for theme 2.
    Budgets are overwhelming – I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks so! The quick reference list you provided is really useful and is something I’d like to keep a copy of in my SLLC in the future. Your point about seeking out appropriate free resources is an important consideration, particularly as the prices of reference resources escalate and don’t reflect the frequency of their use. Seeking out what local public libraries have in their collection and collaborating with them is a solution that I often overlook – thanks for the reminder! Don’t forget to post the link to your blog in the group discussion page, too!

2. Keri Rudolph

Hi Brittany,
    I liked how you used your own library’s collection and your position to examine Theme 2. You are in a challenging position, working only one day a week at your school. This is challenging in any position, but particularly difficult for a teacher-librarian. I appreciated the many practical tips you included in your post about managing the collection. It sounds as though you have done an excellent job getting things done in your role by maximizing your time. Your school is lucky to have you.