Blog Archives

Inquiry Post #3 Collaboration and Professional Development

Before I even begin to think about providing PD for my school….

Like I have said before, I am  new to the job, the community and my school. I will have a teaching partner and the  help of support staff, who  have been there long-standing I definitely do not want to come into the library and start of my relationship off on the wrong foot. As was stated to me, new teacher-librarians need to be more, “consultative” rather than “authoritative” this will be helpful when thinking about building my new relationship. It’s important to understand my own job and what duties are expected of me and the various roles of the LT, my partner and other support staff. It would  be helpful to have a meeting with anyone who is working or volunteering in the library. I could discuss what is working and ways I could help improve what isn’t. Because my teaching partner does not work the same day as me we could also schedule something on TEAMs or keep a running journal to keep each other posted on news or issues that arise.

On his blog, “Working with Library Support Staff,” Johnson (2012) outlines great advice for dealing with support staff. Among his list of helpful tips I think his third point really applies to my situation, “ Value their contribution to the team and give them decision-making power.” (2012) I want to keep this quote in mind especially when dealing with my LT.  It is true that I am qualified to run the library with my teaching partner but the LT has been there for a decade! My LT may have great insight into what the space could use or needs and how it runs most effectively . I think it would be wise to collaborate with both of them in planning on what the space could use and designing a plan to make it happen. I believe  collaboration is so important in order to utilize the SLLC to its full potential. I also want to intentionally make the space a place where volunteers, staff and students want to come each day. As Toor and Weisburg, advised, “you have to make them want to come to work in the library. If the tasks are too dreary, you will find them skipping their scheduled time and eventually drifting away. Give people ownership of specific tasks”(2014, pg. 51). I think this quote is important and should be applied to anyone who enters the space. I want to continually think of ways to make the space inviting and inclusive for all. I want to continue to think of the library as a highly collaborative space that requires me to build strong relationships with everyone who enters. I think by collaborating and working closely with my partner and LT as well as providing them with a space they will feel valued in, will be a huge asset to the library.

I am very excited to get into the library and start getting to know the collection of books and resources and most importantly the clientele! The library does have a great website and the catalogue is available to students and staff. They have arranged all of the non-fiction books by the Dewey decimal system and the fiction is categorized by topics. They also have contests every month and just received a green screen room and a 3D printer. I feel like this will be such a great place for me to start my teacher librarian career. I agree with Brown when she says , “ Our school libraries should reflect our common values of equity, diversity, and cultural identity as well as best approaches in the educational and library professions” ( Brown, 2017). That being said I am new to this district and the city and I need some time to get to know the staff, students and clientele whom I will be serving. I plan on meeting with  classroom teachers individually (perhaps Zoom because of Covid). This will give me a chance to understand what they need and perhaps give some insight into the students at the school.

I also need to meet with non-enrolling staff and administration. I know that building relationships within (and  outside) the school community is very important. I plan on using the framework set out by Husid (2013) as stated under module two. Another great idea was set forth by Toor and Weisburg. They provide a lot of concrete examples  for TLs, but they really stress building a good working relationship (2014, pg. 124). This is why my first few weeks at the school I plan on working hard to lay the foundation for starting relationships among the staff and students.  Johnson, is very adamant on the importance of communication. His advice includes a bi-monthly library report to prevent surprises and build knowledge (2013, pg.  45). I love the idea of doing a monthly report for staff and clientele. While I think a bi-monthly report may be a little much, a monthly report would work great for me and my school community. I plan on doing a monthly report with the help and input of my teaching partner and publishing it on the library’s website.

Ok but what about Pro-D what can I do?

I am a little overwhelmed thinking about this but I have found some excellent ideas online. I will also most definitely join the school’s Pro-D committee. This will help me connect with staff and learn! Here are some ideas I found online that I will be bookmarking to try. Again, this all depends on what my school needs and wants!

http://www.mightylittlelibrarian.com/?p=1274 This is a blogpost that features tons of ideas for PD. My favourite includes a day where teachers come in and try new tech. She calls it “Library Petting Zoo”.

https://pin.it/5BkJ4tS Here is a Pinterest board filled with a ton of ideas for PD. Although it comes from an American Librarian,  there are still some very useful ideas here that I would like to try.

https://bctla.ca/professional-development/online-learning/Here is a list put together from the BC Teachers Librarian Association. Some are more directed towards librarians but there are lots that could be used by teachers too. I like this website because it is local. Could be handy post COVID too!

References:

Brown, J. (2017). Equity and Social Justice in The Library Learning Commons. In Canadian School Libraries Research Archive.

Husid, W. (2013). Collaboration: Make It Happen in Your School. Library Media Connection,31(4), 42–44.

Librariantiff, -. (2015, September 08). Retrieved July 29, 2021, from http://www.mightylittlelibrarian.com/?p=1274

Johnson, D. (2012, January 14). Working with library support staff – Home – Doug Johnson’s Blue Skunk Blog. Retrieved June 11, 2021, from http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/blue-skunk-blog/2012/1/14/working-with-library-support-staff.html

Online Learning. (2021, January 28). Retrieved July 29, 2021, from https://bctla.ca/professional-development/online-learning/

Toor, R., & Weisburg, H. K. (2014). New on the Job: A School Librarian’s Guide to Success. 2nd edition. Chicago: American Library Association.

100 Planning for Library Professional Development ideas: Library, professional development, library lessons. (2020, June 25). Retrieved July 29, 2021, from https://pin.it/5BkJ4tS

*all images from Pixababy.com

6 Comments

July 29, 2021 · 5:49 pm