Moodle Course Site

Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 12.17.54 AM

Moodle Course Site for a Grade 1 Class

Molding the learning management system (LMS) Moodle into something usable for a Grade 1 class has been a challenge. There has been a continual need for me to question what the learning outcomes are that I am trying to achieve so that I am able to create and present material that supports what students are learning in the classroom. I have learned to view the use of educational technology in my teaching environment as a way to augment the student learning experience. In the past, my class website has been used to update parents about upcoming events or post information about the classroom. I wanted to use Moodle in a very different way. I wanted it to become a platform for students to share their learning experience with their parents and to engage in a discussion online and in their homes about their learning.

To date, I have completed the introductory module.  As well, the Language Arts module on my site is completed in terms of meeting the requirements for ETEC 565A.  That being said, creating online lessons has been very labour intensive. I quickly learned that I needed more time than I had initially accounted for in order to create multimedia lessons for Grade 1 students.  The challenge presented by the amount of time needed by educators to learn about technology integration often hinders its use within the classroom (Janson & Janson, 2009). The time needed to plan for in class learning as well as a web based platform such as Moodle was particularly onerous. However, I think that it would certainly be worthwhile in terms of supporting student learning at home. I would invest time over the summer to create a cohesive site that would provide multiple learning opportunities and collaborative reflection outside of the classroom. Likewise, the ability to share their learning with the caregivers is very powerful.

Another consideration in creating my Moodle module was the fact that Grade 1 students require visual and auditory instructions to accompany the written content in a LMS site. Although the activities are designed for parent and student participation, I felt that a video to support the written instructions would empower students to take ownership of the activity. At the same time, I didn’t want it to be something that required intensive parent instruction. Thus, video taped instructions were a necessity. As Siemens (2003) contends, “with elearning, text still remains central . . . but can be . . .enhanced through simple graphics and audio” (p. 1). The e-learning experience enhances classroom practice by providing students with the opportunity to revisit concepts learned in class. The video aspect allows students to review and redo in an asynchronous environment.   In particular, print based text learning is enhanced by the multimedia affordances available in Moodle. In addition, visuals allow the educator to “liven up existing text through the use of graphics, diagrams, and digital pictures” (Siemens, 2003, p. 1). Indeed, young children particularly respond to bright visuals. In the case of my Language Arts module, there are many opportunities for students to view and engage in hands- on learning activities that incorporate visual and auditory learning. The website links allow students to practice phonics and reading skills. The websites are free and easily accessible with most computers. There are also websites that allow students to listen to stories. Thus, students are introduced to multisensory modes of reading and print. As they begin to navigate these websites, they are also enriching their digital literacy skills.

However, what I found to be the most interesting affordance of Moodle is the possibility of collaborative and cooperative learning experiences outside of the classroom. I decided to incorporate a Know Wonder Learn (KWL) chart to access student’s background knowledge prior to introducing a new unit. In doing so, I am encouraging student -centred learning. Students generate questions that direct their learning and curiosity. These questions guide their exploration as the unit progresses. The collaborative nature of the KWL chart allows students to share what they already know. The chart becomes an artifact of their learning journey as they progress from what they know and wonder, to what they have learned at the conclusion of the unit. Students build upon their knowledge by reading what others have written as well. Thus, e-learning and technology can support multiple perspectives and cooperative learning (Siemens, 2003).

In the end, Language Arts and literacy is a main focus in the primary grades. Studies have continually revealed that students that struggle to read in grade 1 continue to struggle in the intermediate grades (Slavin, Lake, Davis & Madden, 2011). Moodle provides opportunities for the educator to plan and implement lessons and literacy opportunities outside of the classroom. The interactive quality of online lessons provides hands- on and meaningful literacy opportunities for students. They are learning that reading and writing have a very real purpose of communicating with the teacher, their parents and with each other. These situated learning experiences are powerful motivators for young students. (Halsey, 2007).

I have also learned much about myself in the process. I have learned the value of hands on, constructivist learning. Although I struggled at times to incorporate some of the required elements in Moodle due to my unfamiliarity with the platform, I learned that discovery through experimentation is very rewarding. I found myself watching many Youtube videos and asking questions of myself and my peers. Through this exploratory process, I gained firsthand knowledge of how situated learning can provide meaningful and powerful learning experiences. I read Moodle tips online and watched the videos, but actually applying that knowledge to create a useful and dynamic site was more informative and meaningful. Struggling and working through issues with the site provided me with a richer understanding of the challenges and rewards of incorporating a blended learning environment in my Grade 1 class. This has provided me with valuable insight into how my own students and their parents might first feel about a new site such as Moodle. However, from my own experience, I know that encouraging them to explore, click buttons and delve in will strengthen their digital literacy skills. Furthermore, they will begin to build their technological competency and confidence as they utilize platforms such as Moodle to explore new topics and information. Finally, the new and exciting methods for teaching and learning presented through technology challenges me, as a teacher, to investigate new ways to support my students.

Halsey, S. (2007). Embracing emergent technologies and envisioning new ways of using them for literacy learning in the classroom. English Teaching: Practice and Critique, 6 (2), 99-107. Retrieved from http://edlinked.soe.waikato.ac.nz/research/files/etpc/files/2007v6n2nar2.pdf

Janson, A. & Janson, R. (2009). Integrating digital learning objects in the classroom: A need for educationa leadership. Innovate: Journal of Online Education, 5 (3). Retrieved from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.186.6228&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Slavin, R.E., Kale, C., Davis, S., & Madden, N. (2011). Effective programs for struggling readers; A best-evidence synthesis. Educational Research Review, 6 (1), 1-26.

doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/jedurev.2010.07.002.

Siemens, G. (2003). Evaluating media characteristics: Using multimedia to achieve learning outcomes. Elearnspace: Everything Elearning. Retrieved from http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/mediacharacteristics.htm