Intro Module

My Moodle site home page

My Moodle site home page

My Moodle Introduction Module Reflection

My first experience with Moodle was for ETEC 565A. Indeed, learning management systems (LMS) were not really a consideration for me, primarily because I teach grade 1. A face- to- face environment with scaffolded instruction, immediate feedback and plentiful teacher support is what most grade 1 students require to thrive. Furthermore, the social interactions that exist in a classroom are difficult to replicate in an online environment because it is very dependent on the ability of the student to read and write. Typically, Grade 1 students are not independent workers at the beginning of the year and are not proficient readers. Although video or audio media are considerations, it would not be an efficient way to develop meaningful learning. Thus, I had two options available to me. I could approach the task as an upper intermediate teacher and create an online course that would satisfy the criteria set out in our course syllabus. Or, I could consider the challenge of creating a Moodle course for home use. I would need to consider how this online course could be used to benefit the students in an early primary classroom. I really wanted to explore Moodle and discover how it could be used in a practical and enriching way with grade 1 students. Therefore, I decided to tackle the challenge of creating a blended learning environment for a grade 1 class. I used Bates and Poole’s (2003) SECTIONS model to inform my choices. Although I had already chosen my technological platform, I wanted to determine how this platform could support a blended learning approach, using the SECTIONS model to incorporate various components that would successfully support student learning. I wanted to create a sense of community, extend classroom learning, and use Moodle as a form of communication between school and home.

With these considerations in mind, I first considered my students and their parents. My site is based on the assumption that parents or caregivers will complete the assignments or activities with their children.   They will familiarize themselves with the site and then help their children read and navigate the site. However, the technological capabilities of parents are often very diverse, so I clearly laid out my introduction sections with a brief introductory paragraph. As well, at this age and in my school’s particular area, parents are very involved. I wanted to ensure that the introduction clearly laid out the purpose of the website and how it was intended to support their child’s learning. If parent’s “buy into” the Moodle site, then they will use the site.   At the same time, I want students to have a very active role in using technology and the class site. Therefore, there are videos that will accompany at- home activities that visually and verbally detail how to complete the assignment. Likewise, the class site will be used at school to introduce the students to the website and our new school iPads. In this way, students verbalize their learning to their parents and their learning is extended into their homes with the introduction activity. As well, the students are asked to complete a writing activity that connects to our learning. For example, the students need to respond to their classmate’s introductory videos. They can use the sentence starter “I like . . .” which they have been using at school as part of the All About Me unit. Thus, students are applying their learning in meaningful activities. The activities and content on the site connect student learning to their home environment. By situating their learning in such a way, students understand the application and importance of classroom learning.

Another purpose of my site is to facilitate communication between school and home. It reduces the amount of lost notices or paper that goes home. Parents also feel involved and invested in their child’s learning. I felt that my site would be another avenue for parents to have access to methods to support their child’s learning. However, one challenge that I faced was ensuring that I did not use “teacher talk”. That is, I wanted the content to be easily accessible so that parents would be able to comprehend the purpose and rationale behind the various elements on the site. To do this, I needed to write succinctly so that all parents, despite their home language, could understand the majority of the content.

As Perkins and Pfaffman ( 2006) noted, Moodle is an easy means to upload class content and to communicate important class or school information to parents. It can “enable teachers, parents and administrators [to]communicate better and requires little money or training” (p. 33). This site is designed to allow the teacher to post important news, dates and events. I have used a free, open source website builder in the past. In the case of Moodle, I can include all the information that I would have on a traditional site. However, there are also additional features such as assignments or activities that I did not include my traditional website.   The information and dialogue, in the past, was very one sided and coming from me. In contrast, the Moodle site facilitates more active communication through the News and Parents forums, where parents can ask questions of each other and the teacher. Indeed, parents often wait for the traditional student led conferences to understand what their children are learning. This site is intended to bridge that gap in communication and encourages children to speak about their learning at home through additional, simple activities.

In considering how to effectively introduce primary students to using technology and a LMS, I have found that Moodle’s features allow for customization in a way that allows it to work in many different learning environments. Perkins’ and Pfaffman (2006) note that Moodle’s many features allow for learning, assessment and interaction to occur; however, not all the available features need to be used. I have found that Moodle allows me to consider the learning objectives for the class and to incorporate only the features I feel will be beneficial and useful to my classroom community.

Please continue on to my Assessment page to read my reflection about using the Quiz function in Moodle for assessment.

Perkins, M. & Pfaffman, J. (2006). Using a course management system to improve classroom communication. Science Teacher, 73(7), 33-37.

Bates, A.W., & Poole, G. (2003). A framework for selecting and using technology. In   A.W. Bate & G. Poole, Effective teaching with technology in higher  education  (pp. 75-108). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.