A Paris Peasant’s Point of View

This reading had me reading with caution based off the fact that it was in evidently written off well-developed, personally-deep opinions and ideas. Majority of the book is written in often disorienting surrealism and although there is some imagery I would not characterize it as vivid. Surroundings of the specific Arcade, or mini-mall, are described continuously throughout the story and references of historical significance is brought up to the point where it feels like it was written by an old friend. It felt like receiving a letter that was reminiscent and commanding but also light and descriptive. He walks through the town, stopping at different shops and stores describing what he sees and how he remembers them. He speaks of them as though the reader would have some general knowledge on the area, although he assumed we were locals. The descriptions however were not so vivid that once again we could apply them to familiar areas. Almost like this arcade was the world around us. Our own little mini-mall to exaggerate and take note of consistently. I could not map Passage de l’Opera in my head but it seemed I did not need to. The structural integrity of the scene had no effect on translating his observations and reflections. There was a passage on page 36, where the narrator speaks about women in social settings. Although, at times, his descriptions felt nearly dehumanizing and crude, it is an accurate depiction of how we perceive people. There is no social contract or terms and conditions for our internal monologue. We think how we want with no filter because we know, even by the Almighty, we will be judged solely for our actions. It is also why insecurity exists and why people wish to read minds when asked about a hypothetical favoured superpower. He describes them not on the surface level but as though he can see right through them, past the “paint and powder”, and into their souls. I am not sure if anger or refreshment is what I feel, however, I understand this story requires reflection. The cultural context begs empathy and the text requires rereading, deliberation, or discussion. His dips and dives into surrealism and allusion made for a quasi-fictional read but also made the reader transport into the arcade. I walked into the Certa cafe and window-shopped at the bookshop. I stood at the windows with the narrator and as though on a screen, watched his observations and experiences while comparing and contrasting with my own. I gave weight to his observations as all texts deserve not because I would internalize them because I understand this text went past a solo date centred around retail therapy. He was exploring a town that symbolized the modern world, with poetic description and subtle ambiguity.

Did you hope for some clarity, or did you like the room for creativity? Would you read more of Aragon’s work?

2 thoughts on “A Paris Peasant’s Point of View

1. mikayla

Hello! I was also reading with some caution. I agree it was a bit difficult to follow along as Aragon wrote as though we would have been familiar with his surroundings. As for your question, I think it would have been helpful to have a bit more clarity, but its creativity makes it quite unique. I’m not sure if I’d read more of Aragon’s work as its genre is different from what I usually enjoy, but I would be open to exploring some of them.

2. Jennifer Nagtegaal

“I walked into the Certa cafe and window-shopped at the bookshop. I stood at the windows with the narrator and as though on a screen, watched his observations and experiences while comparing and contrasting with my own.”

– I love this poetic description of your reading experience! What you write here has me reflecting on the imagery surrounding windows in Aragon, which is a connection that we see to Proust’s “Combray”. There, however, it was the narrator (and/or other characters) who often observe the outside world from within/inside. We seem to have quite the opposite here, where we get glimpses of this “inside” world from the outside. I’d love to know your thoughts on this!