Lesson 1.2 Story & Literature: Does a Reduction of Divisive and Hierarchical Categorization in Literature Result In a Blurring of Intellectual Property?

Technological advances in communication tools go all the way back to the invention of the printing press and even writing itself, however, this post focouses mainly on the World Wide Web’s digital literature.  I agree with Professor Paterson’s idea that technological advances in communications tools have contributed to increased rethinking about the divisive and hierarchical categorizing of literature and orality. In present times, human beings are constantly being exposed to information. Mass marketing, along with the “technological advances in communication tools” are responsible for this occurrence. Social media in digital literature enables widespread publication, without publishers; this means that every voice can be heard. Voices can be unmonitored or even anonymous. As a result of technological innovations, I am constantly consuming information online through means such as advertisements, conversations, or twitter. Furthermore, it may even be worthy to argue that technological advances do not merely result in a rethinking about the divisive and hierarchical categorizing of literature and orality, but actually causes a diminishing of the trend. This decrease of categorization is due to the sheer availability and speed of exposure to information and ideas through the Internet.

Hypertext, another form of digital literature, is capable of granting users further research, for ideas and evidence. Hypertext sorts out information through relevance, and gives a user the choice of whether or not they want to pursue the information linked by the hypertext. Digital literature tools such as the hypertext permit more people to understand a broader spectrum of topics and be able to have personal input. For instance, one can rely on the internet to have a good understanding, and form his or her own thoughts on topics such as the environment without needing to have a high level degree in environmental studies through a post secondary education. In fact, I have learnt much more about mathematics off the Internet than I ever had in a classroom. Tools of digital literature create conversation that otherwise wouldn’t be possible. The amount of exposure and information accessible from the World Wide Web can make ownership of ideas hard to manage. Exposure sparks attention, and conversation is possible through the researching of information that leads to new ideas and thoughts.  Property rights can then become an issue if mass information consumers cannot tell if their thoughts and ideas are a hundred percent original.

Technological advances in communication tools may result in a finer line between documenting an original thought, and subconsciously regurgitating an existing idea in communication. Of course, I would quote the person I am borrowing my idea off of in my essays, but how should one handle borrowing a style of speaking, or an influence of an idea? Everybody starts of life with barely enough knowledge to survive, yet, two decades later, many of us are writing essays and blogs. Is there really just one definite line between original thought and plagiarism? One may gain knowledge through experiences but I argue that the majority of “things” people know are learnt from another source. This reminds me of Kim Dotcom, a entrepreneurial tech whom raises the issue of intellectual property through his various business ventures, most notoriously “MegaUpload.” The various tools of digital literature illustrates how technological advances reduce the tradition of divisive and hierarchal  categorization in literature; however, what are the consequences of mass consumption of information? Will it result in less original thought? Additionally, how will citation systems need to improve to keep up with the progress of digital literature?

Please comment and discuss. I hope to make my concern and argument with the issue of “blurred intellectual property” more understandable with the class, especially in relations to Kim Dotcom. Thank you so much for reading 🙂

Geller, Lois. “What If Marketing Were An Olympic Sport?” Forbes. Forbes Magazine, 20 Feb. 2014. Web. 20 Feb. 2014.

Pool, Tim. “Kim Dotcom: The Man Behind Mega.” VICE. N.p., 03 Jan. 2014. Web. Jan.-Feb. 2014.