Lesson 3:1- Shirts, pants, and English for the world

“Multiculturalism was adopted as official policy in a bilingual framework in 1971, and later in the broader Multiculturalism Act of 1988. Multiculturalism Act (1988), which built on the ideas formed in the Multiculturalism Policy (1971) and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms (1982)” -CanLit

The Multiculturalism Act is a policy of the Canadian government. It was created to ensure minorities groups of Canada would receive equal treatment as the majority groups of Canada (the British and the French.) This would include any minority features ranging from physical (such as skin color,) to cultural (such as holidays,) to intellectual (such as language.) By recognizing the diversity of people in Canada, the Multiculturalism Act essentially gives minorities the right to be “different.”

This act has social and political significance as it may have the ability to smoothen interaction between all Canadians groups on the social level, and allows for recognition of minorities on the political level. Be that as it may, there are skeptics such as Smaro Kamboureli, who defines the Multiculturalism Act in her book Scandalous Bodies with: “The Multiculturalism Act recognizes the cultural diversity that constitutes Canada, but it does so by practicing a sedative politics, a politics that attempts to recognize ethnic differences, but only in a contained fashion, in order to manage them. It pays tribute to diversity and suggests ways of celebrating it, thus responding to the clarion call of ethnic communities for recognition. Yet it does so without disturbing the conventional articulation of the Canadian dominant society” (82). I agree with Kamboureli’s definition of the Act, but I wonder why she is unsatisfied with the way the politics are playing out. My family came to Canada in 1995, and we appreciated the Multiculturalism Act. It was comforting and helpful for my parents to see Chinese on official documents when they could not read English. I remember in the second grade, when I finally became a Canadian citizen in Burnaby, my principal at the time announced the news of my brother and I on the school loudspeaker and congratulated us. My friends at that time were White Canadian, Hungarian-Canadian, (then Yugo) Slovakian- Canadian, and I was grateful to be in a place where I was recognized as Chinese boy becoming a Canadian citizen. If Kamboureli was Chinese, maybe she would be unsatisfied about the way non-Chinese people in Canada would say “Kung Hey Fat Choi” during the lunar new year to mandarin speaking Chinese people, without realizing it is Cantonese. Maybe she expects a lot more from the majority population, and other minority populations than me.

As I grew up, I witnessed the Multiculturalism Act impact the lives of minority groups and the majority groups. The Multiculturalism Act helps society in general, but the concept itself will always be complicated. For example, a local Vancouverite Nav Kandola filmed and describe the following video titled “Ignorant proclaimed UBC graduate being a racist on Vancouver sky train.” with “got onto the train today. It started off with this guy getting into it with some random girl as I got onto the train. I thought she was bothering him and he was the victim. She got up to get off at her stop and as she got off he yelled at her “by the way you stink”, the train started moving again. He turned around and started talking to the two Korean gentlemen beside me. He asked “where are you guy from” one of the guys responded “Korea” he then asks “are you in Korea?” Which they responded “no, we are in Canada” he then asks “and what language do we speak here in Canada” the Korean guy goes “English…?” The guy yells back “so speak English then”. He goes on rambling about how he pays for them and pays taxes and same old ignorant racist non sense everyone’s heard before. He ends up picking on an Indian girl which is where I started to record .. Share this video. Let this idiot come to light so everyone knows who he is.” Due to cultural differences, racism still exists in Canadian society today even though the Multiculturalism Act exists.

I do not see myself as a racist, but there are times when I feel frustration. I am very proud of my Chinese background and identity. I love China; I visit at least twice a year, and have a whole life there. I proudly sing the Canadian Anthem every time it plays, whether it is at a Toronto Raptor’s basketball game or at a political event I would participate in. An example of when my frustration turns right on is when I see fellow Chinese associates, classmates, or friends being unable, or unwilling, to sing the Canadian anthem. Another example can be told about some of my friends being frustrated about certain French establishments refusing to speak English. I am sure people have the rights to remain silent during the singing of “O-Canada,” but in the French speaking case, this can cause a feeling of hostility and inconvenience, even if groups have the rights to speak whatever language they wish. There is no excuse for hate or racism, however, everyone can entertain the idea of trying harder to embrace and balance multiculturalism and nationalism.

Coleman’s argument about the project of white civility is difficult because not only do we live in a “White” nation, with a powerful “White” neighbor (USA,) we arguably live in a “White” world. English is the global language. The highest “standards” are displayed internationally in five star hotels, regardless of nation, where white civility showcases itself. Classical music play in these places; people, regardless of race and culture, are wearing dresses and suits. The people there eat with fork and knives in a quiet manner, keeping their mouths closed as they chew. Colonialism already dictated the “standard” of “civility” all around the world. There are “finishing schools” for ladies in Europe where affluent families from all over the world, from Saudi Arabia to China, pay tens of thousands of dollars to send their female family members to learn the “art” of talking, serving tea, opening doors, walking, smiling, and acting as a White, female aristocrat. In fact, there are one or two finishing schools in Beijing, the biggest communist capital city in the world. The Multiculturalism Act is a lawful attempt of respecting and preserving different cultures, I wonder if it is enough to combat the White capitalism that has been rooted in the minds of non-white groups.

CanLit Guides. “Reading and Writing in Canada, A Classroom Guide to Nationalism.” Canadian Literature. Web. April 4th 2013

Coleman, Daniel. White Civility: The Literary Project of English Canada. University of Toronto Press. 2006. Print.

Kamboureli, Smaro. Scandalous Bodies: Diasporic Literature in English Canada. Don Mills, Ont.: Oxford UP, 2000. Print.

Ignorant Proclaimed UBC Graduate Being a Racist on Vancouver Sky Train. Prod. Nav Kandola. N.p., 5 Dec. 2013. Web. 2 Mar. 2014. <https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152088272612037>.

“Multiculturalism Act.” Multiculturalism Act. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Mar. 2014. <http://nslegislature.ca/legc/statutes/multicul.htm>.

O’Connor, Liz. “Wealthy Chinese Women Are Paying $16,000 For 10 Days Of Finishing School.” Business Insider. Business Insider, Inc, 22 July 2013. Web. 4 Mar. 2014.

5 thoughts on “Lesson 3:1- Shirts, pants, and English for the world

1. jrobichaud

Amazing post. I do feel the same on a lot of the topics your bring up. I want to address a few things that you bring up in your blog.

1. The video…holy smokes! I have seen people like this in the US. Ranting and raving about go back where you came from. It is sad. I think I was saddened the most that no one helped this poor girl . When you have an ignorant jerk like this guy, there is really no reasoning. But it would have been nice for someone to come to her aid, or hopefully push the emergency button.

2. I agree with you when you speak of people coming to this country and refusing to sing O’Canada. I am very proud to be Canadian, but I can only imagine how ignorant I would be if I came into this country, becoming Canadian, and refusing to sing, or singing the Star Spangled Banner instead. This is why I feel Americans get such a bad reputation. I hear stories of Americans going to other countries, like France, and expecting people to just speak English, not even trying to speak the Native language of that country. It is just ignorance or a sense of entitlement.

3. As far as people like in that video. I have encountered racism as being American. I was living in in Kelowna and working in a bridal store. A group of women were making fun of Americans and American accents. One said ” I can spot and American a mile away, they are fat, smelly and uneducated.” I was in shock. What could I say really? Here I was, an American, helping these people find a wedding dress. I had a hard time keeping my mouth shut. Part of me was embarrassed that I was American, part of me was angry. So when one girl asked me where I was from, and I said originally the United States, all of their jaws dropped to the floor. She said, ” SO are currently American?” My reply was yes, and as I walked out of the room the girl said, “see even Americans do not want to live there.” So needless to say I did not finish with those clients.

It is very hurtful to hear general stereo types of where you come from. I do agree that the Multicultural Act is a good thing, however I think it does not do any good if our children are not being educated properly. Adult Bias and Racism is passed on to our children. Good people like your parents are able to fill out their forms and have assistance in their Native tongue, but will still have to deal with and face ignorant people like the man on the train. Maybe a tougher punishment on people who are threatening as this man was on the train? Maybe forcing them into a cultural education program. What this man was doing on the train is harassment, and I wish he was punished for it.

My question to you is, how do you think that this can be changed? Does it start with the parents? If the parents are not educating properly, is it on the teachers and the education system?

1. Calvin Su Post author

Thank you for your reply Jenny 🙂

I am honoured to have you ask my opinion.
      I think education plays a big part in this equation. From my experience, school always stresses on “tolerance,” and “tolerating” others. Tolerance, in my opinion is the bare minimum, it is simply not enough. Sometimes, words can have a huge effect on the way we think. If schools train us to think we are loving citizens, simply by being tolerant, then there is sure to be a problem.

It seems like the person in the video has been “tolerating” minorities for far too long, and he finally blew up. I would want the schools to teach kids how to “love;” but for now, I could settle for “understanding.”

2. erikapaterson

Hi Calvin, back again. After another read I have a few evaluative comments for you. I would have liked to have a little less anecdotal evidence and more context and content on the Multicultural Act – as an act that attempts to “right past wrongs.” Clearly you think the Act is successful, but why, other then your good sense of fitting in and being different. I have to confess, your conclusions have me a little confused? I am not sure what the point is that you are trying to make by placing Coleman’s argument in context with the ‘civilizing projects’ of the ‘white world’? I think you need to enlighten me further? Re: “The highest “standards” are displayed internationally in five star hotels, regardless of nation, where white civility showcases itself …… ”
    And, I am also confused by this concluding statement? I am not sure what it means either?
    “to combat the White capitalism that has been rooted in the minds of non-white groups.”
    Help me out – and explain your point for me further – please.