Best Work

This page is prepared to showcase a collection of my best written works from the technical writing course taught by Professor Erika at UBC: ENGL 301. Commentaries on the purpose and success of each assignment are provided with links to each revised assignment.

Definition Assignment

The purpose of this assignment is to write three different definitions of a technical term for non-technical audiences without backgrounds in the professional field in which the term is used. In this assignment, I wrote three different definitions for the technical term “Automation Testing”: a parenthetical definition, a sentence definition, and an expanded definition.

Link: Revised Definition Assignment

Peer Review of the Definition Assignment

The purpose of this assignment was to provide positive feedback as well as critical and constructive suggestions for editing the definition assignment of my writing team partner. In the process, I learned how to carefully examine my partner’s writing and offer positive feedback with suggestions for improvement.

Link: Revised Peer Review of the Definition Assignment

Formal Report Proposal

The purpose of this assignment is to brainstorm ideas and write a proposal for a formal report. I decided to investigate and analyze the status of the departmental resources for supporting teaching assistants and provide recommendations for enhancing continuous support for them.

Link: Revised Formal Report Proposal

Proposal Memo

The purpose of this assignment is to compose an email memo summarizing the contents of my proposal for Professor Erika. In a memo, I provided a bulleted list of all components of my proposal.

Link: Revised Proposal Memo

Progress Report with Surveys

The purpose of this assignment is to compose an email memo detailing my progress on your Formal Report for Professor Erika. My memo included the audience for the report, the purpose of the report, the significance of the report, the objectives, the research plan, and the writing schedule. I also composed survey questions and attached links to two surveys in a memo.

Link: Revised Progress Report with Surveys

Links to surveys:

Questionnaire for Teaching Assistants: https://ubc.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5cZSNXcby42L846

Questionnaire for Students: https://ubc.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3VpmUAraC1mn9BA

LinkedIn Best Practices Memo

The purpose of the assignment was to conduct research on best practices for using LinkedIn as a professional networking site and share research findings with the writing team members. In a memo, I provided a list of ten best practices for using LinkedIn as a professional networking site.

Link: Revised LinkedIn Best Practices Memo

Memo to Evan Crisp

The purpose of the assignment is to write an email memo of advice to Evan Crisp on best practices in writing an e-mail to a professor seeking to be added to a full course. In a memo to Evan, I was tasked to demonstrate the you-attitude toward Evan.

Link: Revised Memo to Evan Crisp

Peer Review of a Formal Report

The purpose of this assignment was to provide positive feedback as well as critical and constructive suggestions for editing for a formal report of my writing team partner. From this assignment, I was able to learn how to review my partner’s writing and provide positive feedback with recommendations for improvement.

Link: Revised Peer Review of a Formal Report

Citation for a visual: Rider, Pict, et al. “Istock.” IStock, www.istockphoto.com/illustrations/creative-writing.