ENGL 301

About ENGL 301:

ENGL 301: Technical Writing is a distance learning course offered from UBC Department of English. In this course, students will learn how to effectively communicate in writing in business and professional settings. Through the course of studies, students will participate in discussions with peers and preparation of many forms of written communication in business, such as abstracts, proposals, applications, reports, and Web Folio, to practice and improve their technical writing skills in professional environment.

The course is consist of 4 different units:

• Unit 1: Principles, Practices and People in English 301
  • Unit 2: Designing a Report Proposal; Defining Terms with Audience in Mind
  • Unit 3: Designing a Report Outline & Draft; Building Resume and Job Application skills
  • Unit 4: Drafting the Formal Report; Peer Review and Final Report; developing networking strategies

My Expectations:

Previously worked at a tech company in a technical role for my latest Co-op placement, I learned that written communication is an essential part of the job and professional activities. As the requirements of the product became more complex, more people were engaged in the development process. As a result, effective communication between teams in writing such as emails and reports had a crucial role in successfully meeting the product requirements. After realizing the power and the necessity of effective written communication, I decided to take ENGL 301: Technical Writing course to improve my technical writing skills and prepare for a professional career. In the coursework, I expect to learn how to effectively communicate in writing with coworkers through online discussion and peer review as well as write formal reports and Web Folio.

This page is based on: https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl30199c2022w2/course-description/