Dear Café Scientifiquers, our next café will happen on Tuesday February 28th, 7:30pm in the back room at Yagger’s Downtown (433 W Pender). Our speaker for the evening will be Dr. Makoto Fujiwara, from the ALPHA-Canada group at TRIUMF. The title of his talk is:

What I talk about when I talk about the Universe

Our understanding of the Universe has progressed tremendously since the beginning of modern physics in the early 20th century. However, a recent revolution in cosmological observations, as well as latest results from particle physics experiments world-wide (including those the LHC at CERN) are causing significant agony to particle physicists. In this informal talk, I will first describe the current problems in our understanding of the Universe, including the so-called “fine-tuning” problem. I will then discuss some of the proposed solutions to the problems, including the controversial concepts of the Anthropic Principle and the Multiverse. This talk will likely end with an interactive discussion with the audience on what it means to do science when you cannot repeat the experiment.