Monthly Archives: February 2016

Assignment 2:4 – What Our Stories Say About Us

“If Europeans were not from the land of the dead, or the sky, alternative explanations which were consistent with indigenous cosmologies quickly developed” (“First Contact” 43). Robinson gives us one of those alternative explanations in his stories about how Coyote’s twin brother stole the “written document” and when he denied stealing the paper, he was “banished to a distant land across a large body of water” (9). We are going to return to this story, but for now – what is your first response to this story? In context with our course theme of investigating intersections where story and literature meet, what do you make of this stolen piece of paper? This is an open-ended question and you should feel free to explore your first thoughts.

Although it’s never stated as such by Robinson, I would assume that this story is one that popped up after European contact to explain their existence. What I find interesting about the story is that it both demonizes Europeans and, I think unintentionally, expresses the insecurity of the Indigenous people who created it.

I can’t speak to the intentionality of either Robinson or the original storytellers, but this story struck me as similar to the propaganda used in World War I and other wars, that was intended to both endorse the propagandist’s home army and vilify the enemy. What Robinson’s story establishes is that a) the Indigenous people of North America are descendants of the good twin, Coyote (an endorsement), and b) that Europeans are descendants of the bad twin who was banished (a vilification). While Coyote is usually portrayed as a “trickster/seducer/pest” in other stories, this particular story shows him as “the obedient twin who dutifully followed the orders of his superiors” and “he represented goodness” (Wickshire 11). Here, Coyote’s character has been adapted to create a dichotomy between him as the good twin and his younger brother as the bad twin. While the younger twin is not directly referred to as bad, he is a liar and a thief, both qualities that the story implies are negative. With this story, the storyteller is able to give a historical reason as to why Indigenous people deserve to live in North America, and white people – the banished – do not deserve to live there.

What I found to be the most interesting detail of the story is that the younger twin was banished because he stole a piece of paper he was not supposed to touch. First, this is reminiscent of Eve eating the apple in the Bible’s Genesis story, which may indicate the influence that Europeans had on Indigenous storytellers. Second, this suggests to me that Indigenous tellers of this story felt they needed to justify the fact that Europeans had developed a complex written system before they did. For all the talk of oral and written cultures being on the same playing field – that is, one not more advanced than the other – this story suggests to me a feeling of inadequacy from Indigenous people in this regard. I’m not trying to suggest that they had any disdain for their oral culture, but simply that the Europeans believing themselves to be more advanced because of their written culture may have gotten into the heads of Indigenous people, leaving them feeling defensive. So a historical reason for this difference was created, one that painted the ancestor of Europeans as a thief and then a liar – clearly a less desirable person despite his paper – and Indigenous people as the rightful inhabitants of North America.

I believe that the stories we listen to affect our worldview, particularly ones we grow up with as children. However, what Wendy Wickshire’s introduction and Robinson’s story of the twins has shown me is that it is just as true that our worldview affects the stories we tell.

Canadian Wartime Propaganda: First World War.WarMuseum.ca. Canadian War Museum, n.d. Web. 19 Feb. 2016.

Wickshire, Wendy. Introduction. Living By Stories. By Harry Robinson. Vancouver: Talonbooks, 2009. 1-30. Print.

Wordlviews and Science: the effects of presuppositions.” Truthnet.org. Truth Net, n.d. Web. 19 Feb. 2016.

7 Comments

Filed under Uncategorized

Assignment 2:3 – Shared Assumptions and Values

Read at least 3 students blog short stories about ‘home’ and make a list of the common shared assumptions, values and stories that you find. Post this list on your blog with some commentary about what you discovered.

Cherie Au’s “My Sense of Home

Similarities

• a sense that people are an important part of what makes a home
  • traditions (for me this would be better worded as routine, but it’s a similar sentiment)
  • a sense that home can shift from one place to another

Differences

• a sense of displacement and yearning for home
  • a dissatisfaction with the actions of people at her home

Nicole Galloway’s “The Seasons of Home

Similarities

• we both grew up in Lynn Valley
  • dependent on childhood memories and adventures in the place we call home

Differences

• more focused on the place than the people (although the people are what shape her connection in the first place)
  • more attached to history of home

Danielle Dube’s “At Home Behind the Mask

Similarities

• home as a place of comfort

Differences

• considers the place where she can perform an activity (hockey) to be part of her home

The most common thread running through all the blogs I read is that people are at the core of what makes a home for us. Even some of the other common threads like comfort, stability, culture, and traditions are all things that are a function of the people surrounding us. Some people were particularly attached to a specific geographic location, but even those places were connected to memories with people.

Au, Cherie. “My Sense of Home.” CANADIAN LITERATURE. UBC Blogs, 8 Feb. 2016. Web. 12 Feb. 2016.

Dube, Danielle. “2:2 At Home Behind the Mask.” OH CANADA! The Stories We Tell. UBC Blogs, 8 Feb. 2016. Web. 12 Feb. 2016.

Galloway, Nicole. “The Seasons of Home.” Oh Canada. UBC Blogs, 6 Feb. 2016. Web. 12 Feb. 2016.