Sightseeing Sunday

The display in Cupcakes on W Broadway. I’m a sucker for red velvet with cream cheese frosting.

I got to be a tourist in my own city today. My friend Ella from home was in Vancouver for a ballroom competition this weekend, so I met up with her and showed her around. Here’s a rundown of our stops:

We started our day off at Granville Island. Although it’s pretty touristy, Granville Island will always be one of my favourite places in Vancouver. It has such a unique, artsy vibe that reminds me of Kensington, St. Lawrence Market and the Harbourfront in Toronto, all rolled into one man-made island. I picked up some fruit from the public market today to deter myself from heading to Hubbard’s, and showed my friend the houseboats sitting by the docks. I’d say it was a pretty successful trip.

Next stop: The Eatery on West Broadway. Hands down the coolest sushi place I’ve ever been to, complete with neon signs, lava lamps, and puns in their menus. It can get a little pricey, but I really like the atmosphere…and their Pacifica rolls (cream cheese, BBQ salmon and avocado. Absolutely amazing, take my word for it).

After lunch we went consignment shopping on West Broadway. Confession: I have an addiction to buying ugly, oversized knit sweaters. The one I found today is blue with waves and various sea creatures printed on it. It’s pretty awesome.

Our last stop was Cupcakes. I think the name is pretty self-explanatory. A store on Broadway with the prettiest cupcakes I’ve ever seen. It also gets bonus points for playing Taylor Swift the entire time we were there.

Other awesome things that happened today:

• I bought a 10 class pass to Semperviva Yoga for 65% off (thanks, Groupon!)
  • I listened to two whole episodes of Radiolab while bussing around the city
  • I went to the library when I got back and finished all my readings for this week (high five for being on top of my academics!)

Not-so-awesome thing that happened today:

I got my psych midterm mark back. Apparently, multiple choice and I are not friends. On the plus side, only one midterm to go, and the ski season is about to begin (only 10 more days until Whistler opens!). Things are looking up.

2 responses to “Sightseeing Sunday