First-year science course reviews

One of my biggest fears before coming to UBC was that I wouldn’t be able to keep up with the workload. I saw myself lost in a sea of faces in a gigantic lecture hall, failing miserably in all of my crazy difficult science classes, and being forced to move back home with my head hung in shame.

Thank goodness that wasn’t the case.

UBC’s science program is known around the world as one of the best, and usually “best” is synonymous with “hardest”. But after making it through my first year in science, while it definitely wasn’t an easy road, I’m confident that I’ll be able to succeed in my subsequent years. One of my favourite things about this school is that you’re more than a number. There are resources available all around you; it’s just a matter of knowing where to look.

If you’re an incoming first-year science student and are worried about surviving, first: take a deep breath. You can do this. You were smart enough to get into UBC, and you’re definitely smart enough to stay in. Next, be sure to check out the new Academics section of my blog that is dedicated to reviews of all the courses I’ve taken so far.

BIOL 112: Unicellular Life

CHEM 121: Structural Chemistry with Application to Chemistry of the Elements

MATH 102: Differential Calculus with Application to Life Sciences

PSYC 101: Introduction to Biological and Cognitive Psychology

SCIE 113: First-Year Seminar in Science

3 responses to “First-year science course reviews