Canadian Literature: Parkinson Perspective

Unit 2

2:2 Unaffordable Home

Eating on a Board of Wood – Imagine balancing it with your legs

“The dining table was a plain board called by that name. It was hung on the wall when not in use, and was perched on the diners’ knees when food was served. Over time, the wood board came to signify not just the dining surface but the meal itself, which is where the board comes from in room and board. It also explains why lodgers are called boarders.”

-Bill Bryson, At Home: A Short History of Private Life

Home as we know it today in North America has had a relatively short history. As the travel writer Bryson goes into detail in his book, At Home: A Short History of Private Life, the Victorians first came up with the thought of the private home. One with separate living quarters for its occupants, a bath, a kitchen, and an eating space. Perhaps even a garden out the front or back. A home with locked doors, only the occupants could have full access. 

Those without a home are considered lacking, ‘homeless’ being the exact though not the most intuitive word. It carries significant connotation, often being associated with vagrancy, filth and even mental unfitness or laziness (by the more conservative folk). The term ‘boarders’ has taken on new meaning, usually referring to people on holiday or students studying away from home. With the invention of Airbnb it often means temporary dwellers who are paying for their stay in a standard way (Lee 230). At one point, boarding was a hospitality service, where people paid for the services by exchanging through helping with work around the house so they could have a roof over their head for the night.

We live in a society with locked doors. Where we only open them up to people we know (sometimes), and only let strangers in to stay if the financial means and fortune of having a credit card with good credit history.

Why the context for this particular history of the home? There are many definitions for having a sense of home, or how one defines a dwelling space (arguably one can have a ‘home’ without having an actual space, it could be a feeling of comfort and security). Such diversity in meaning leads me to my own anecdote on living spaces, one based on affordability and security.

As I’ve hinted at in previous posts, I am a western transplant to the province of Ontario. Though I came to this province for different reasons, one of the reasons I have settled in Hamilton, ON is due to the cost of living. Though the GTA is beginning to have an effect on the local housing and rental market upward mobility for someone with limited connections is a lot more possible in this city than in Vancouver .

Accessibility is important to me in a city. Hamilton is currently in the midst of a gentrification process because of the Toronto influence, and it is interesting to see local NGO’s or small businesses fight to keep the diversity that makes this working class city so special. As a soon to be Yuccie, I am likely a part of this gentrification process as much as I would not like to be.

As Chamberlin noted in If this is Your Land, Where are Your Stories?, my life has been a series of displacements, which in turn has displaced other people. Seizing opportunity is one perspective of the events, a buyout of a Canadian company my father worked for in interior BC, which led to our family moving to the United States. Financial restraints to attend university in the US led me to return to Canada for postsecondary education (conversely it is also financial opportunity and physical ability to live on my own in a city separate from my family). An experience of gendered violence displaced me again, to move from Vancouver to Ontario.

I have had the fortune of being able to establish new homes in different geographical areas despite various life events that have been the cause of the displacement. Perhaps that is the most succinct definition I can muster for affordability of the home – it is not always a financial one – but a home is a place  of security and sanctuary that a person can recreate despite displacement.

Works Cited: 

Bryson, Bill. At Home. New York: Doubleday, 2010. Print.

Buzz, Vancity and Lauren Sundstrom. “A Generation Of Young People May Leave Vancouver Because They Can’t Afford To Stay: Poll”. Vancity Buzz. N.p., 2016. Web.

Chamberlin, J. Edward. If This Is Your Land, Where Are Your Stories?. Cleveland, Ohio: Pilgrim Press, 2004. Print.

“Hamilton Housing Prices See Biggest Jump In Canada”. Thespec.com. N.p., 2015. Web.

Lee, Dayne. “How Airbnb Short-Term Rentals Exacerbate Los Angeles’s Affordable Housing Crisis: Analysis And Policy Recommendations”. Harvard Law and Policy Review 10.1 (2016): 229-235. Print.

Tuttle, Brad. “The Yuccie And 2 Dozen Other Ways To Categorize Millennials”.MONEY.com. N.p., 2015. Web.