Shared Thoughts on Home

house

I read a few of the other student’s posts, and I found some interestingly similarities between them. Not only that, they were quite different experiences and feelings than what I considered to be home for myself, and it let me look at things from a new perspective. Not only that, but I realized I actually shared some common themes that I may not have considered before or hadn’t not really gone deeply into.

Given what I have read, I discovered these common things each poster seemed to share:

1.  Their sense of home was in a person or an object, not a specific place
  2.  They found this out through self-discovery
  3. Home was somewhere they were comfortable in

The most striking similarity I found within all three of the postings I read was the fact that the writer did not identify home as  a specific place but rather home was a person (or in one case, an inanimate object). Upon further analysis, I realized this was a common theme for many people.

In the first post I read, the writer considered their plush toys a home — they would feel comfort and joy whenever she had them with them. Being an alone child who was living in Canada alone without her parents, these were the only things that could connect her to her parents and therefore to her home. She also further considers her husband to be her home, someone who has helped guide her through her life’s journey. The second poster considered her brother to be her home, as they had shared many of the same life experiences together as well. Finally, the third writer also reiterated this idea that “home [was] always been the people [they] have been with.” In this, they meant their two siblings and their mother.

These three posters also shared similar stories about traveling and how this related to their sense of home. They had either moved to a completely new place to continue on their journey, or had just traveled to find their own sense of self. These travels or changes of place made them realize what home actually meant to them, and in that sense found that home wasn’t a specific place, but somewhere where their loved ones were. They felt displaced and homesick without them In this way, it did not matter where they went, or what changes in scenery they experience. As long as the ones they found home in were there, they would be home.

Last but not least, home was also a place they found comfort and joy in. Not only that, but home was where a lot of their life experiences lay. Having shared experiences with other helps with the comfort, I think, as you know someone went through similar things as you did.

Overall, the most evident thing about these posts was that home was connected to a person or a group of people, and wherever they were, they found home.

Gosal, Navi. “Assignment 2:2 – Home.” Web log post. ENGL 470A Canadian Studies. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 June 2016.

Hudson, Paul. “You Know You’re In Love When Home Becomes A Person, Not A Place.” Elite Daily You Know Youre In Love When Home Becomes A Person Not A Place Comments. N.p., 2015. Web. 12 June 2016.

James, Heather. “Home.” Web log post. Heather James: ENGL 470A. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 June 2016.

Li, Christy. “MY HOME….” Web log post. ENGL470- CHRISTY’S BLOG. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 June 2016.

Buying a home. Digital image. Money Smart. Australian Securities and Investment Commission, n.d. Web. 12 June 2016.

Tam, Ruth. “Home Is Not A Place.” Thought Catalog. N.p., 2012. Web. 12 June 2016.

1 thought on “Shared Thoughts on Home