***Warning – I may be more philosophical than businessy during the following post***

Unemployment is a powerful issue in any national economy. Governments often aim to lower their rates to a healthy unemployment rate. An article published by the guardian states that American unemployment has fallen to its lowest since 2008.

Nevertheless, as the article states, unemployment remains high. And there are significant differences in unemployment levels between ethic groups. Often ethnic groups are discriminated and lead to living in the same area.

Being a UBC Sauder Student who is constantly surrounded by university companions who at a very young age already have a business lounged, this article lead me to look at this issue with a whole other perspective.

It made me think, how it is logical that people living in less fortunate neighbourhoods are less likely to initiate a business. Often due to the lack of education and money. However that does not necessarily mean that these residents have less potential to lounge a start up company, it means that they have not been given the opportunity and the same chances as other business students around the world.

I like to believe that labour is one of the most, if not most, significant asset in a functioning business. And this thought just made me realize how much potential is lost around the world due to the circumstances people are born in. Also how much more economic growth would be taking place if only a little more of this potential was being used.

Luckily the concept of social enterprise, where the engagement of social entrepreneurs leads to the improvement of the quality of life, may change the situation for many out there, even if it takes decade to put into action.

inequality_t2u