Revived and Remade

Gestalt

By All Means

I have realized that it’s sometimes hard to pay attention to someone while you are talking to him/her on Skype, Facebook, Messenger, etc. There are so many virtual distractions nowadays that even though these means of communication represent a great technological advantage, I don’t think they could ever equal the experience of talking to someone without the participation of a screen. Details such as image and sound quality also play an important role in making this an almost surreal experience.

A Beautiful Concept 

I recently read a very interesting article that talked about the beauty magazine ads. It said that since advertisers promote a beauty ideal, advertisements present a great opportunity to study and analyze the construction of beauty in a certain culture. I thought that it would be an interesting exercise to explore this idea by photographing all the full-size commercial beauty ads that appeared in the February 2013 edition of the U.S. Vogue magazine.

Moments in History

The 29th Date

Dis-covered

After Elaine

Intersection

Probably one of the first places I saw in Downtown Vancouver. I would have never imagined that the following scenes had taken place in the very same spot.

I’m used to seeing comparisons between images representing what a particular place used to look like and how it looks now. I thought it would be interesting to play with the idea of actually “standing” on the intersection where history took place.

Vancouver, fall of 1942. Burrard & Melville. Seventy years later, these two buildings have been transformed into Burrard skytrain station.

2da0b6e3-7456-49c5-ad58-accc4fba1b89-A05276

Found at the City of Vancouver Archives website.

1943. Members of the Air Raid Precaution in a Victory Loan Parade travelling south on Burrard Street near Melville Street.

d64a5a61-86ae-4d9e-ae17-f8b3063e1d10-A37162

Maintenant

I was mesmerized by the ‘timeline’ that could be perceived in this image. An old picture of Seattle and the present vibrant city coming together in one single window reflection. It’s the past, the present, and a glimpse into the future. C’est maintenant.

Beautiful Landscapes

Last weekend I went t the Okanagan Valley. At first I wasn’t really sure about going. The trip was being organized by the UBC Exchange Student Club. However, after a couple of days of hesitation, I finally decided to jump in to the adventure.

I was struck by the beauty of this place, by its shades of white (I just realized how many shades this wonderful colour can have), the glow of its snow, and the magnificent trees. I also found the perfect opportunity to capture some very special images that could also portray an interesting style of photography, the deadpan photography. These are some of the magic moments I could immortalize with Pippa’s help.

Perfect Curves

Big Guys