Re: Hazel Wong’s Blog – FPR

Prior to class 17’s discussion about fake product reviews, the scam of companies paying people to write glowing reviews has never crossed my mind. I was appalled by this since I have been convinced by five star ratings of products. Besides the obvious fact that companies would not produce commercials showcasing poor reviews, it is disappointing to uncover that even online reviews have gone through a screening to ensure that there are only positive feedbacks. That being said, I agree with Hazel that negative reviews can earn consumers’ trust. Consumers should be smart enough to realize that all products have some flaws and when companies accept consumers’ negative as well as positive reviews, it shows that they are willing to make improvements in their products to meet the expectations of their consumers. With both compliments and critiques, consumers will know that the good reviews are actually sincere and truthful. When a product only has a continuous list of positive feedbacks, consumers should question how reliable these sources are. Perhaps, companies should pay people to write negative reviews since the tables have turned now and consumers are not easily fooled by off the charts praises of products.