Publisher Turn to Open-Plan

hachette-1-master675

Last week I learnt about open-plan; a system where all employee, including CEOs, work at cubicles together in an open space. Upon learning about this system I came across an article discussing open-plan offices appearing in an unlikely industry, book publishing. Publishing companies are beginning to make the switch in order to minimize costs. The companies immediately recognized that the model’s advantages still apply to the publishing industry; it creates positive energy, decreases resentment among co-workers, and increases productivity. Others, however, argue that the model does not have the privacy and quiet required for publishers and editors.

I believe that open-plan is extremely beneficial in any company as it encourages innovation and communication amongst employees. The system also allows CEO’s to create personal relationships with employees and, thus, become more approachable. With this model employees are more freely able to express concerns that can also be addressed faster. I do, however, understand that book publishing companies require quiet and privacy, as well as space to display their work in order to impress future clients. Hatchette Book Group has solved both of these concerns in an effective manner. They have created quiet spaces that can be used for private phone calls or for silent work, as well as special conference rooms where editors can display their books for meetings with agents and authors. This innovative system has created positive working environments and eliminated the isolation of management. I believe that the open-plan model has more advantages than disadvantages, therefore should be used in every office, regardless of the industry.