Feb 21 / ceciliawang

Product placements aren’t just found in rap videos anymore

I remember the first “product placement” I ever saw in a music video was for the 1st generation iPod way back in 2003. I didn’t understand this concept until I noticed some of the obvious brands in other videos were blurred. Basically, companies pay the record label to use and blatantly display their product in music videos.

According to an article in the Economic Times, revenue from product placement has doubled since 2000. With all the new technology and editing software available, it is no surprise that costs to produce music videos are increasing. Product placements work to offset the costs. Additionally, we’re seeing fewer and fewer hours of music video airtime (thanks to Jersey Shore and the myriad reality shows) so YouTube/Vevo is becoming the preferred destination for music videos. You can watch what you want, whenever you want! The predominance of the Internet makes marketers’ jobs easier since people can simply google the product right after they watch the music video, while it’s still fresh in their mind. And the subtle “integrations” are, well, not that subtle.

I got the idea to write about this topic after watching Britney Spears’ latest music video “Hold it Against Me”. The first time I watched it, I was immediately struck by all the brands displayed in front of me. When you get passed the initial YouTube advertisement barrier, this is what you will see:

1. Radiance. Self-promotion for her new perfume
  2. Make Up Forever. She dips a brush into an eyeshadow jar and applies it on her eyes.
  3. Sony. Amidst the flashing bulbs and microphones, there are many Sony flatscreen televisions displaying Ms. Spears herself.
  4. Plenty Of Fish. American dating site, on what else? A Sony laptop.

If the site Plenty Of Fish seems familiar to you, then you are probably a Lady Gaga fan as well. Her music video for Telephone is a whopping 9-minutes in length and is filled with random plugs everywhere. Here’s a short list of brands you can see in Telephone. Apparently, not all were paid endorsements, such as the Coke cans used to curl her hair.

1. Virgin mobile. In her jail scene, she holds it several times and you can clearly see the label in the close-up.
  2. Plenty Of Fish. The return of the dating site! Here, a female guard logs on using an HP “beats” laptop. This latter was unpaid, stemming from many of Gaga’s partnerships.
  3. Diet Coke. Great idea, but unpaid. Gaga pays tribute to her mother, who used a similar technique in the 70s.
  4. Polaroid. Gaga snaps pictures of Beyonce on what is clearly a Polaroid instant camera. Also, a Polaroid booth makes an appearance.
  5. Miracle Whip. Used to make sandwiches in the kitchen scene.

Obviously, video producers tried to make the integrations as smooth as possible. Personally, I try not to notice them too much. But the bottom line is, these multi-million dollar videos need sponsors. If only amazingly lengthy videos such as Michael Jackson’s Thriller were made today, it would be interesting to see what products they’d advertise.

One Comment

leave a comment
  1. mise / Feb 23 2011

Very true blog! I myself, actually just read an article about Britney Spears and product placement. In her most recent music video “Hold it against me” it is hard not to see the product placement. In that video alone, she netted an astounding $500,000. To demonstrate the power of product placement, in the video she shows Plentyoffish.com, which is a dating site. The traffic on the site increased 20% the day that the video premiered. However, this would make someone wonder, are the effects only short term?