Feb 12 / ceciliawang

Sketchers should look at hiring a new marketing director

During my break today, I went into Town Shoes inside Pacific Centre mall where I made this amazing discovery.

Looker closer.

Yes, Sketchers did really produce a carbon copy of the famous “TOMS” slip-on shoe. If that wasn’t bad enough, they are called “BOBS” (sounds familiar?) and Sketchers promises to donate a pair to a child in need for every pair bought. Looks like Sketchers didn’t even bother to change the philosophy behind their new “socially responsible product” much less the design and name of the shoe.

When TOMS started in 2006, founder Blake Mycoskie relied on his first-hand experience traveling in Argentina where  he saw countless barefoot children to form the foundation of his marketing strategy. (philanthropy + ingenuity) The emergence of BOBS four years later only seems insincere at best. TOMS gambled on their unique idea and succeeded. It just seems like Sketchers saw the potential and entered the market with their copy-cat product. Mycoskie did mention on his website that he hoped that people would copy his business model, but how far is too far? One article from FastCompany magazine points out “Is the TOMS concept fair game?”…well, is it?

Personally, I don’t think BOBS’ campaign will work, as people can distinguish between who’s authentic and who simply hopped on the bandwagon after observing huge market potential. If Sketchers wants to continue to sell these shoes, they better come up with something unique fast.

Oh, and just for hilarity… the sign I saw at Town Shoes indicates that BOBS will actually donate TWO pairs of shoes to needy children for every pair that you buy (as opposed to TOMS who will only donate one pair).

Sources: here and here