October.

Re: Aiken Lao – Gender Balancing the Toy Industry

photo credit: NY Times

In my classmate Aiken’s blog post about gender balancing the toy industry, she mentions the benefits of promoting gender neutrality in both the workforce and toy industry. Although I strongly agree with the pros that come with having a gender balanced company, the strong evidence from a marketing perspective shows creating gender neutral products is not the way to maximize profits.

When I walk down the toiletries aisle of any drugstore, the course material from Comm 101 has allowed something to stand out to me now that never did before: market segmentation. More specifically, gendered marketing.

Many if not all brands in this aisle have done it. They have created both a male and female version of deodorants, razors, shaving cream and eye gel just to name a few. But why do they do this when we both know gender neutrality brings all genders closer and promotes a product’s points of parity? The answer is to overcome gender contamination. By creating a more masculine version of a feminine appearing shampoo by making the packaging more rigid for example, men become less discouraged to purchase the product while women don’t feel as if their product has become more masculine. Their original shampoo still exists… just for women!

Is the idea of gendered market segmentation morally wrong? I think so, as it splits buyers into two categories when the products in both categories perform equally. But from a business perspective, this clever market segmentation has become a game-changer. Or in other words, an easy way to increase sales.

Check out this great video on Gendered Marketing! 

Nobel, Carmen. “Gender Contamination: Why Men Prefer Products Untouched By Women.” Forbes. Forbes Magazine, 13 Nov. 2013. Web. 25 Oct. 2014.

Photo Source:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/12/23/sunday-review/23GRAY/23GRAY-articleLarge.jpg

Standard
October.

First Nations: Blockade at BC Mine

Village of Iskut, Tahltan Territory. Photo: Tad McIlwraith

Not long ago, a group of elders under the name of Klabona Keepers from the Tahltan Nation blocked entry to Imperial Metals’ Red Chris mine near Iskut in response to the company’s serious mining waste spill at their Mount Polley location.

With the action impeding Imperial Metals from continuing on with their $500 million dollar copper‐gold mine, external factors relating to regulatory trends and stakeholders are inevitably impacting the company’s business model.

Although the Keepers are not opposed to economic development, Imperial Metals’ failure to possess all required permits violates the regulatory trends necessary to operate on the Tahltan Nation’s land.The Aboriginal community of the Tahltan Nation are all stakeholders of Imperial Metals’ operations that occur on their land, which means any action Imperial Metals carries out will in a way impact its stakeholders.

While Imperial Palace is looking to expand its mines on land precious to the First Nations, it is important to keep in mind in order for it to operate successfully, it must not cause irreversible damage to the land its stakeholders value. In return, Imperial Palace will generate employment and economic development, positively impacting the Aboriginal reserves around.

Read the full article here.

Secher, Kristian. “First Nation Announces Blockade at New Imperial Metals Mine | The Hook, A Tyee Blog.” The Tyee. 8 Aug. 2014. Web. 06 Oct. 2014.

Standard
October.

Airbnb: Finding a Unique Place to Stay

Airbnb's Website

Image from Airbnb

The first time I used Airbnb, an online marketplace for people to list and book accommodations,  I was not only surprised at how easy it was to find a place to stay in Montreal, but also how quickly I could learn about my host on Airbnb and feel a sense of assurance about the place I was staying.

Airbnb’s value proposition is huge. With its plethora of user reviews and requirement for users to log in using social media, Airbnb is able to easily establish a platform of trust between hosts and customers. Its easy-to-use platform also attracts users from vacation goers to frequent business travelers, allowing Airbnb to target a very diverse customer segment.

Because buyers must showcase their identity and producers continuously develop their reputation on Airbnb through reviews, a stronger relationship between consumer and producer is always being built. This sense of community is definitely new to the 21st century, but I believe it’s exactly what is building Airbnb’s success.

Have you ever tried Airbnb? If so, what was your experience like? Share your thoughts with me below.

Check out Airbnb here.

Friedman, Thomas L. “And Now for a Bit of Good News . . .” The New York Times. The New York Times, 19 July 2014. Web. 05 Oct. 2014.

Photo Reference:

www.airbnb.com

Standard