November.

How Do Three-Day Weekends Sound?

Image Source: Forbes

Last year, I had a teacher who I fondly remember as someone who firmly believed these days, people are being overworked and that it is harming individuals’ identities and happiness. Now what in the world is my point?

Well, one thing I’ll never forget him saying is what if one day everyone just decided to not show up to work on a Monday? What would the government do about that?

This was the first time I had thought about the idea of three-day weekends.

Danielle van Jaarsveld’s visit to class really evoked a belief in me. I might not believe that three-day weekends are viable in the society we currently live, but I believe a lot can be done to alter how workers are currently being treated.

What does every business want? A productive workforce, both in efficiency and innovation. But hearing “TGIF” every week at my part-time job in an office setting is the perfect example of why the nine to five schedule is not the way to maintain a productive workforce.

Back when I wrote about Virgin Mobile’s transformation of becoming a company where employees can take unlimited vacation time, I was still a little hesitant about such an unorthodox idea. But now I believe more than ever more companies need to focus on their employees just as much as their customers. I see one of my future goals a lot clearer now: I want to work on my own schedule, whether that be for someone else or for myself.

After all, people are organizations.

Photo Reference:

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/jacobmorgan/files/2014/09/The_evolution_of_the_employee.jpg

Standard