1.3 Social Media and Hypertextuality: their influence on our storytelling

by admin

I regularly indulge in the use of online social media platforms, like Facebook and Instagram, and I frequently utilize functions that typify the virtual medium, such as hypertext. I feel certain that these online platforms have altered the way I express myself as a writer. How could they not? Over the course of my life I’ve experienced innumerable changes in the virtual domain.

As a child, in the late 90s, my family owned a computer and a handful of basic computer games, but we didn’t have internet until I was about 9 years old. We didn’t need it. Then internet became more accessible, more common, and suddenly my family was connected to the www. The internet got faster, I made a hotmail account, and I started to use msn messenger. I was aware “chat rooms” existed but they seemed rather distant and a little arcane. Hotmail, MSN, and Neopets defined my online horizons.

When I started highschool there was no such thing as Facebook, and I was the only kid I knew with a cellphone or a laptop, and this was only the case due to special circumstances involving a short-lived modelling career that necessitated such “high tech” equipment. By grade 12 everyone, including me, had Facebook and access to some sort of rudimentary cellphone with a tiny screen and T9 text messaging capabilities, while a few really lucky kids had heavy, angular Mac Books, the sort that have since become museum curio.

Though my high school days weren’t terribly long ago, in the grand scheme of things, it admittedly feels like an eon. I’m now 27 years old, I have an iPhone 6, a laptop and a tablet, two FB profiles, and accounts on Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr, Blogger, Gmail+, the list goes on and on. Compared to my 17 year old self, awkwardly hammering out text messages to the one or two other people I knew with Motorollas, totally unaware that there would eventually be an extensive lexicon of SMS Shorthand condensing whole sentences into tiny groupings of letters, years from ever hearing the word “selfie” let alone trying to take one, and likely convinced that Apple could never release anything more impressive than my Ipod touch, the current version of me, sitting here typing this rambling blog post for an online university course is far, far more connected to, well, everything.

marinetti_freeverse

I’m working from my home on Vancouver Island, but with incredible speed I can touch base with a professor or ask questions of classmates currently situated in Vancouver, miles away. In fact, I can do both those things at once. Meanwhile, I’m preparing to curate an Instragram takeover for an independent publishing house in Montreal, and I’m exchanging Facebook messages with friends in the US. Followers and friends on various different platforms are posting photos, videos, and status updates about life as it is a world away, or a click away, depending on how you look at it.

The www and social media platforms provide me with connectivity characterized by immediacy, and these are qualities reflected throughout the virtual realm, a great example being hypertext. In the same way i can use three characters in a Tweet to indicate three separate words (omg), or “share” one photo to multiple social media platforms at the same instant, hypertextuality enables one blog post to contain within it countless other online sources, all of which may be “summoned” immediately (more or less depending on the strength of one’s Internet connection). I’ve used variations on the word “immediacy” to emphasize how central speed is to these online processes: access to people, media, and information is instantaneous and I believe this emphasis on speed has greatly impacted how I write.

Though the context in which I’m writing leads to variation (am I typing a tweet or a 2500 word essay?), it’s generally accurate to state that a heightened awareness of the dimension of time pervades my consciousness as a writer. I place a premium on being brief and concise (can I say what I need to say in under x-amount of characters?). Readers are often scrolling past, surfing, skimming: getting my message across quickly is important in such a context, and it also becomes important to consider the role of other forms of media in drawing attention to my text. Graphics engage readers visually and also seem to play some sort of trick on increasingly microscopic attention spans.

Hyperlinks are another useful method of engaging or, perhaps more accurately, of entangling readers. Because they typically utilize colour coded indications hyperlinks involve the attraction of graphic variety embedded in the textual. But they also have the value of guiding the reader fluidly through a text, directing their movement through a multiplicity of virtual sources with comparative ease. Clicking a hyperlink embedded in a virtual text is much easier and much faster than the time consuming process of, for example, flipping through a physical book to locate endnotes.

Thus it seems to me that social media platforms, such as Twitter or Instagram, centered around continual access to immediate updates, impress a consciousness of time, its limitations, the need for rapid access. The value of immediacy is supported online by pervasive hypertextuality and ultimately, and environment is created which projects a (possibly false) sense of urgency. In such an environment, such urgency has certainly impacted my own approach to self expression, particularly in the virtual domain.

Works Cited:
Marinetti, Filippo Tommaso. Action. 1916, Free Verse + Futurism, Designhistory.org, 2011.http://www.designhistory.org/Avant_Garde_pages/Futurism.html. Web.