Reflection: LIBE 477

In beginning this course I felt like I had some good background in ICT skills. In reading Why School? I felt like I had heard much of what was articulated by Richardson and I felt good about creating a blog. Once I started really researching and establishing more PLNs, I felt like my head was swimming with all the new information and ideas I was accumulating.

In many of my blog posts I comment that I have explored the resource but there’s so much more that I need to look at more closely later! This is how I feel about this entire course, I have accumulated so many more ideas and contacts that I lost track of where I was getting the information! For example, I can’t remember who said they created a document to file all of their new resources and I commented that I should be doing that but I didn’t and I should have! In creating my final vision project, I looked back on my blog posts and I went back to the blogs from my group members to find the ideas that I thought I liked but it may not have been the most efficient tactic.

One of the biggest take-aways from this course will be the establishment of PLNs. The contacts I have made in this course I would like to maintain because I feel like everyone has great ideas; even if there are similar activities, it is good to get another TLs spin on it. I used many ideas from the new PLNs I am a part of in my final vision project.

Although I already had a Twitter account, I find I am using it more and have found a more specific purpose for it.

As well, I have joined a lot of Facebook groups where I am getting so  many ideas! Pretty sure a member of my blog group gave me the first facebook group to join. These are groups I have joined so far and I saw one more suggestion today:

• The School Librarian’s Workshop
  • Teachers teaching with tech
  • Future Ready Librarians

In addition, I appreciate that one of the inquiry blogs focused on World Libraries and Global Literacy. I have really wanted to teach students how to make positive global impacts and connections so this was a good motivator for me.

In relation to my Final Vision Project, I seem to do this quite a lot but I have a problem getting these grandiose ideas, which are pretty stellar, but they take a lot of time and effort! I did it again with my idea of creating a Participatory Virtual Learning Commons as my final vision project! There were so many ideas and aspects I wanted to include that it was very time consuming but, as I said, this is one reason I had not done it already. I included quite a few of them but there are still more I want to include; this will definitely be a “live document”.

Ultimately, although I felt like I had a good base for my ICT skills, I feel like I’ve got so many more to explore, experiment with and share with staff and students. As I said in Reading Review A, “so many ideas, so little time”! I feel like I have even more now but that is great because as Teacher Librarians, I feel like we need to be ready with any resource at any time in any area, so the more the better!

Needpix. (2020). Star Abstract Colorful Free Photo [Image]. Retrieved from https://www.needpix.com/photo/1120778/star-abstract-colorful-fireworks-rocket-banner-header-new-years-day-new-years-eve

Participatory Virtual Learning Commons: Vision for the Future in LIBE 477

OCEAN GROVE PARTICIPATORY VIRTUAL LEARNING COMMONS

For my final vision project, I thought I would create a Virtual Learning Commons. I have wanted to develop one since my second year as a Teacher Librarian, got a blog set up through my district and found I did not appreciate the format; it was not user friendly for me , I could not get the sections to work as I wanted them to and therefore felt it was too time consuming so I stopped using it.

In beginning this course, I identified developing a Virtual Learning Commons as one of my key interests and throughout the course, it seemed like I was getting more and more ideas for aspects I wanted to include in my ideal Virtual Learning Commons. Therefore, I concluded that creating my own Virtual Learning Commons was the right choice.

For a previous blog post, I came across The Virtual Learning Commons website and it suggested a Participatory Virtual Learning Commons which I really like the idea of. One of my goals is also to create a culture of collaboration and I feel like it could be supported through a Participatory Virtual Learning Commons. I decided to develop a site with GoogleSites because on this website there was a free template that uses Google. I like the ideas that this template suggests and as teachers we always say “why recreate the wheel”? Plus, not only is it a template but it has so many ideas to include in the Virtual Learning Commons that can be integrated and used in the Physical Learning Commons. Some of the ideas I already knew about and some are great ideas that are new to me that I feel my students would find useful as well like Storybird. I also felt like I could add the ideas that I accumulated from the course into the existing pages in addition to adding my own.

The idea behind my Participatory Virtual Learning Commons is for it to be a place where teachers, students and parents can go for ideas and resources that can be completed online but also have some options for offline activities. Many activities I have included can be completed independently by students and they can construct their own meaning. This connect with points made in Why School: “ The emphasis shifts from content mastery to learning mastery. That means students have more ownership over their own learning, using their access to knowledge and teachers to create their own unique paths to the outcomes we, and they, deem important” (Richardson, p.276).

On my site, I feel I have touched on all of the areas identified on NETS, which I shared in Reading Review B.

By formulating the site in the way I have, it is promoting 21st literacy skills, as mentioned in “Why School?”, by encouraging collaboration between all members of the school community and allowing students to explore, create and problem solve. I have done this by  including ways for the entire school community to contribute to the site and the library as well as see themselves represented on the site. The following explains the pages I have included and what each page contains and why I have chosen those aspects.

Pages included:

Home Page:

On this page, I want it to grab the user’s attention and have interactive activities. There is an announcement banner, a quick activity idea, a student survey and I would like to add pictures as the year goes on.

Discovery Center:

The website template explains this as a place where students can learn on their own. I left the explanation at the top of this page because it gives some good ideas of what else to add to the page. I would like to re-word the explanation to make it more student-friendly but I really like the concept of the discovery center. It has a lot to do with inquiry but also some more ideas for independent learning.

I thought this was a good place to add information on Inquiry. Inquiry is one of my key areas of interest that I identified. I have added some ideas like question creation, how to find the answers and the inquiry process but I could not find links that I like for students so I will still work on that.  I did add the graphic for Inquiry Island because I like how it portrays inquiry like a journey and it is more exciting that a chart, table or graph. I also added a document I made in May for students to carry out their own inquiry.

In addition, this is a good area to add links to some coding resources. I have added links to code.org and scratch.

New ideas to me that I will keep on the page and would like to explore more are Symbaloo, Storybird and Virtual Makerspace. I wanted to keep the videos that were already included here because they are actually videos that I would choose to show students to brainstorm ideas for personal inquiry projects. There is more I would like to do with this page but at the moment I am leaving it “under construction”.

In this area I would also like to share creations that students have made in order to generate some ideas for others.

Fun with Literacy :

This is an area where I can promote ways to create a reading culture throughout the school. There is a combination of ways to read individually and communally as well as different activities that can be completed online or offline. Included on this page are links for:

• District Learning Commons
  • OG Library Catalog
  • Public Library
  • Links to eBooks and audiobooks
  • Suggest a book – I got this idea from John Weldon Elementary School Learning Commons
  • What are you reading? – book recommendations – I chose the following as sites that are safe for students.
    Biblionasium – this connects with Destiny and we are a Destiny district so this would be great to teach students how to use, they just use their Destiny log-in! It appears that it would need to be added to Destiny as a separate purchase, my district does not have it yet; however, this may be a good way to use the library budget this year as we probably need more online resources. I am going to have to explore this in more detail and talk to the other TLs and District TL. I feel like this would be a good lesson that I could teach in classrooms using our digital devices.
    Scholastic:Share What You’re Reading – this is a free resource and Scholastic is a well-known product. I think this would be good because students could potentially discover books that we do not have in our library and possibly connect with more peers in other areas.
  • Reader of the month – Thanks Tracey W. for the ideas! I would like to start with some teachers and then have students afterwards. I think there could be at least a couple a month or maybe one teacher and one student each  month. I don’t have one on the site yet but I would like to have one (maybe mine) for September and I would do something like the example Tracey shared from this school: Roosevelt Library Learning Center.
  • STEM stories – I apologize, I do not remember who I got this idea from but thanks! I have included a link to STEM story ideas on Scholastic if people are looking for different ideas. I have also included some specific stories with read aloud from YouTube with a specific activity idea attached for easy access; there is one for primary and one for intermediate but of course people could use both! I chose these specific videos from YouTube because they are short and only show the book, no people.  I think I will change up the specific activities each month.
  • Reading Challenges – Read-a-thon – I just added my reading challenge from 2019 to show what I would include, I would update it for the coming year.
  • Book club offerings – this is something that I identified in my “Reading Culture” blog post as something I have not done before but would like to. In that post I said that I would try to identify some students that might like to participate. On my site, I have left it as a “contact me” if interested and I figure maybe groups of friends would arrange to be in a group or if individuals are interested, I can find them a group to be a part of or pair up interested individuals.
  • Virtual Author visit information – this is another aspect that I identified I would like to do more of. At the moment this is something I would like to look into more so it is a “coming sometime this year” section.
  • Battle of the Books information – this is a district-wide initiative and we usually start by sharing the books and information in November for students to begin thinking about if they would like to participate or not.

Parent & Teacher Zone:

In my inquiry post #3 on professional development offerings from the TL, I found this template for the Participatory Virtual Learning Commons. I really like how it says that “If they help build it, they will use it”. In addition, I really like the idea of a place to share professional collection resources that teachers can peruse at their leisure, as shared by Jacquie B.

Links to resources for teachers:

• Copyright – with using online forums for teaching, teachers are curious about what they can do/share online with their classes, especially the rules around read-alouds with classes online.
  • Digital Citizenship – I wanted to link to some ready resources for teachers on internet safety and citizenship because that is what I found I needed when teaching online.
  • Inquiry – I wanted to add some resources on inquiry for teachers because I would like to create a culture of inquiry-based teaching and learning at my school. The documents that I chose to include are some easy ideas to start with such as practicing recognizing good questions, acknowledging knowledge building with an easy lesson and some simple changes that can be made to common units to make them more inquiry-based.

Links for parents:

• Digital Citizenship – I thought I should include some resources for parents on this subject so that they also have some tools and knowledge about proper etiquette and use for their children.

Way to share documents/readings that teachers found useful:
This is the place I thought could be the online professional literature exchange. There would also be a physical professional literature exchange in the LLC itself.

Discussion board: participants can email to obtain a link to be able to contribute to the discussion board. I am picturing that it will mostly be teachers and a few parents,  maybe from PAC. This is where people can ask questions, write comments or share information or links to useful sites/articles etc.

Twitter feed: I wanted to include a Twitter feed so that I can post any new updates to the website and that will hopefully increase the use of the website itself.

Book/resource request form: Like on the “Fun with Literacy” page, I have included a way for teachers/parents to request any professional literature that they would like to see in the library. Again, this is a way for the school community to feel like they are contributors to the LLC.

At the end of this page I also added an infographic on ways a TL can help because I feel like sometimes people don’t really realize what all of the different parts of our jobs entail. By adding this, it is my hopes that it will encourage more collaboration and individuals asking for my assistance.

Project Zone:

In this area, again, the template makes some great suggestions on how to make it collaborative. It says, ” The idea of this portal in the VLC is that two heads are better than one; meaning that collaborative planning, construction, execution, and assessment by classroom teachers and adult specialists (including outside experts) is superior to the efforts of a single and isolated teacher in the classroom or teacher librarian isolated in the library Learning Commons”. I love this idea because it is one of my favourite things and always one of my goals to collaborate, co-teach and work with different classes throughout the school on varying projects and units.

Three features are recommended for this “room:”

• Current projects between the learning commons staff and classroom teachers.
  • An archive of completed projects as a track record for monthly or annual reports.
  • A section devoted to the teaching of Personal Learning Environments for both students and adults in the school.

So, since there are not any collaborative projects happening at the moment, this page is definitely UNDER CONSTRUCTION and COMING SOON!

Global literacy:

I wanted to include a page on global literacy because I always wanted to find and teach ways for my school and LLC to contribute globally. So, it was a great opportunity to be able to do some research on this topic through this course to be pushed to find out more. In the past few years, I have been trying to think of ways that our school can do some fundraisers for world organizations and it seems obvious that it should be something to develop global literacy.

To start, on this page I am just going to include some Canadian organizations that contribute to global literacy. As well, I will post a “stay tuned” for fundraising for global initiative area. I would like to organize something from our school that incorporates some research by the students into global literacy and organizations so that they can take ownership of the contributions but I’m not sure what form that will take yet.

Online Safety:

Digital Citizenship and Media Literacy was also one of my key areas of interest that I identified at the beginning of this course. I feel that it is such an important topic for students to be taught from the beginning of the year with information at their grade level. I find that the grade 4/5 level is very important to reinforce these ideas in many different ways throughout the year as they are the age where they are beginning to use many online forums more independently but they don’t necessarily have enough common sense to navigate online without guidance.

I was debating what to name this section as I want it to make sense to students and parents. On first glance, I don’t think that parents and students would understand what Digital Citizenship or Media Literacy might mean. On the page, I will give a definition and explain why it is important and what to do on the page.

The site I have used for all of my resources is Common Sense Media. In my research, I found that this site has the most appealing lessons and videos. I have added some lessons for students to check out at first plus a link to the Digital Passport. I will change the lessons every month or so to keep students coming back.

How I will share this site:

Like I said earlier, I have wanted to create a Virtual Learning Commons for a long time but felt like it has always been out of reach with time constraints. I feel like a Participatory Virtual Learning Commons will be even more purposeful than simply a Virtual Learning Commons and by having more contributors, I feel like it will also motivate me to update the website. I would like to share this site on our school website and through our school newsletter so that parents and students will be aware of its existence. I would also use my designated time during a staff meeting to highlight specific areas of the site that I think that teachers would find useful such as the Teacher Zone and even some specific ready-made lessons that I have identified. Simply giving teachers the link will not be enough, I will need to show them exactly what I think they would find useful. In addition, I will use library times to teach students specific aspects of the site. This will also meet my goal of having lessons that can be taught anywhere in the school depending on how I will be teaching this fall. Finally, if we do remote learning again, I feel like students will be able to do many of the activities and be able to explore this site independently.

Adobe Stock Images. (2020). See+you+soon [Image]. Retrieved from https://stock.adobe.com/ca/search?k=%22see+you+soon%22

Common Sense Media. (2020). The Power of Words [Video]. Retrieved from https://d1pmarobgdhgjx.cloudfront.net/education/PowerOfWords_NewBumper.mp4

Copyright & Creativity : K-12 Teaching Resources on Copyright and Fair Use. (2020). Retrieved 11 August 2020, from https://www.copyrightandcreativity.org/

Copyright Guidelines for Teachers. (2020). Retrieved 11 August 2020, from https://teachbc.bctf.ca/docs/CopyrightGuidelinesForTeachers.pdf

Essential Digital Citizenship Lessons for the Coronavirus Pandemic | Common Sense Education. (2020). Retrieved 16 July 2020, from https://www.commonsense.org/education/articles/essential-digital-citizenship-lessons-for-the-coronavirus-pandemic

If I Built a House read aloud. (2020). [Video]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXW89Pc8B7I

Images by pixabay

ISTE Standards for Students | ISTE. (2020). Retrieved 19 July 2020, from https://www.iste.org/standards/for-students

Mighty Little Librarian. (2020). Top 10 things your librarian do for you [Image]. Retrieved from http://www.mightylittlelibrarian.com/?p=1388

Mrs. St.Germain Reads. (2020). Perfect Square [Video]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRqL7GUaavc

Natural Beach Livign. (2020). 25 day reading challenge [Image]. Retrieved from https://www.naturalbeachliving.com/reading-challenge-for-kids/

Reviews for what your kids want to watch (before they watch it) | Common Sense Media. (2020). Retrieved 11 August 2020, from https://www.commonsensemedia.org/

Richardson, W. (2012). Why School?: How Education Must Change When Learning and Information Are Everywhere (Kindle Single) . TED Conferences. Kindle Edition.

The Virtual Learning Commons – learningcommons. (2020). Retrieved 2 August 2020, from http://www.schoollearningcommons.info/the-virtual-learning-commons

TemplateVLC Elementary. (2020). Retrieved 2 August 2020, from https://sites.google.com/site/templatevlcelementary/

Top 10 Read Alouds for Elementary STEM. (2020). Retrieved 12 August 2020, from https://teachoutsidethebox.com/2018/01/top-10-read-alouds-elementary-stem/

Under the stairs entertainment. (2020). Coming soon [Image]. Retrieved from http://underthestairsent.com/coming-soon

Developing World Libraries and the impact of mobile devices: Inquiry Blog #4

Let’s set the stage:

For the first part of my career, I was a high school English teacher,  mostly grade 10 and 11. At first it was easy to have a “no cell phone” policy but it kept getting harder and I felt like I was wasting too much energy policing cell phones use. I actually had a conversation with a neighbour the other day who told me she was a high school English teacher and ended up retiring because of cell phones, pretty sad! Cell phone use isn’t what encouraged me to change my career path; however, in my last couple of years teaching high school, I changed me approach. Instead of having an overarching “no cell phones” use, when the class began I told them that part of having a cell phone and being successful in the world is knowing how to use a cell phone responsibly. In English class for me it meant, not using it when I was talking, only using it for things such as online dictionary/thesaurus and possibly using it once the classroom work was complete. Maybe it was all in my head, but I felt like once I set out these parameters, students were actually more respectful and I didn’t have as many issues. My last year in high school was 2014, so I’m sure a lot has changed and there are many productive ways to incorporate cell phone use in the English classroom.

In my current situation, I am a TL at a K-5 elementary school so students don’t really bring their own devices. For most classes, the biggest issue is reminding students about safe handling of devices so they don’t damage them. At my school, we dismantled the computer lab last year and replaced it with two class sets of laptops on carts. When I began as the TL, I advocated for trying to slowly accumulate iPads, getting about 5 new ones a year, but it does seem like technology is changing so rapidly that the ones we purchased when I started (three years ago) seem old. In addition, our district has a fairly strict policy for iPad use and taken on downloading all the apps so the school cannot download our own; if we want particular apps, we have to ask our IT department and it is often a painful wait for the request to go through. Up until now, these are the only devices we use at our school.

The concepts of World Libraries and mobile devices in libraries are a bit out of my comfort zone. I kept adding to my post with ideas I was finding, some which that did not “pan out” but I got some ideas from; therefore, this post is more “stream of consciousness” as I worked through it.

Libraries in Developing Nations:

To begin, I think that for libraries in developing nations to rely on weeded book from developed nations is really unfair. The books are weeded because they are out-of-date, damaged or unpopular so that doesn’t change if they are given to another library. Students in developing countries have enough educational challenges without being given out-of-date reading materials but to be honest, I did not know ways that developing nations obtain books or the best ways for books to be delivered to libraries in developing nations.

The American Library Association has a list of organizations that ship new books to developing countries. It is interesting that at the top of this page it basically says exactly what I say above about out-dated, damaged books.

There is a more global list from UNESCO with contacts for donation agencies for books and computers.

Maybe I wasn’t using the correct wording but I only found one Canadian agency: Canadian Organization for Development through Education (CODE). CODE appears to really only accept monetary donations, not donations of books themselves because they use the money for more than just books; it is also used for providing aspects such as educator training. There are opportunities for schools to fund raise and that might be a good organization to highlight one year at my school. What seems good about CODE is they advocate for getting books to developing nations, seems like mostly Africa, that are “culturally relevant” and “…stack library and school shelves with colorful and engaging children’s books that are appropriate for different reading levels, written in languages that children understand, and that reflect their local realities”(CODE, Literacy Programs).

Librarians Without Borders (LWB) seems like a really interesting library project in developing nations based out of Canada.

It appears that they sponsor two programs at the moment, one in Guatemala and one in Ghana. In reading about the program in Guatemala, it speaks to the fact that they collaborate with local agencies. The site states that, “The focus of this collaboration is on development and operation of a school and community library” (LWB, About, Guatemala Program). This organization helps to set up training for a Librarian position, implement a lending system, and instruction for information literacy. To obtain books for the libraries, books are bought through donations and it says they will “…selectively accept donations of new or gently used Spanish language books in at-need genres and reading levels”(LWB, Programs, Support). There wasn’t anything I could find that discussed the use of a digital library or mobile devices; however, librarians can volunteer to travel to one of the areas to visit and help with these programs! Maybe one year….

Mobile devices in libraries:

The article from our course suggested reading list under “Mobile Learning Resources”, “Turning on Mobile Learning:Global Themes” was very informative and contained a lot of interesting information pertaining to mobile uses in education in both developing and developed countries. I knew that mobile phones are more readily accessible in Africa than most of us think only because I had family members travel to Africa a few years ago. A fact from the article that surprised  me was, Currently, over 70% of mobile subscriptions worldwide come from the developing world, and thanks to rapidly declining prices, powerful mobile handsets previously available only to wealthy individuals are increasingly within reach of the poor” (6).  In addition, ““Access to robust mobile networks is nearly universal: 90% of the worlds population and an impressive 80% of the population living in rural areas are blanketed by a mobile network. This means that learners who might not have access to highquality education or even schools often do have working mobile phones”(6) . The article advocates for the use of mobile phones in education in all nations as ““…several countries and companies have recently made a push to develop highdigital quality resources and educational materials optimized for mobile devices” (7). I obviously found this article interesting and helpful and don’t want to quote the entire thing but it makes a lot of sense that globally, mobile networks are more accessible worldwide that we think. This article was also written in 2012 so I would assume that the access and use of mobile devices and networks are more prevalent worldwide now.

In my search for how to develop global libraries, it seems like for many, the answer to getting current literature into the hands of students in developing countries is through digital means. Although I did not find as much back-up information for the organization in the following video, I feel like it encompasses many of the ideas that I was finding for other organizations in support of digital libraries.

As the video explains, it is a catalog of e-books that can be accessed through any digital device. It says it is a non-profit organization based out of Australia that sets up the digital catalog and delivers devices to students in developing countries. I tried to look up the Library for All website,libraryforall.org , but my computer told me it was an unsafe connection because the site’s security code had just expired. I could, however, connect to the Facebook page.  There is a mobile app available that I downloaded on my phone but I had trouble actually accessing the e-books.

This reminded me about all of the other companies that offer a catalog of e-books such as, Epic: Kids’Books, Audio Books, Videos & eBooks, which I could also download an app for. I wonder if these are available worldwide? I was thinking they probably are.

Where do I go from here?

So I’m not opposed to mobile devices in libraries, but like other ICT, students still need to be taught digital citizenship and media literacy skills in conjunction with use no matter the country.

In my current situation, one thing I am wondering is the feasibility of asking for donations of old cell phone that families may have hanging around home once they get an upgrade from the cell phone company. I know that cell phones still have Wi-Fi capabilities even when disconnected from phone services. That means that cell phones can still be used to access the internet for research purposes, download apps and take pictures and videos. In addition, because they are no longer connected to phone services, it would avoid safety issues connected with text messages and phone calls.  I wonder if anyone has tried to do this yet? I have a feeling there might be similar issues through our district as with iPads which I would need to check into.

Finally, it has always been in the back of my mind to look for ways that I can support global libraries; book donations have come up at my TL meetings in the past but nobody really had any suggestions. This assignment was good for giving me an opportunity to look into how I, my school and students can make a difference globally.

Literacy Programs | CODE. (2020). Retrieved 5 August 2020, from https://code.ngo/approach/literacy-programs/

IntoConnection. (2015). Getting Kids To Read in Developing Countries With E-books [Video]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jWECWnGgTw

Librarians Without Borders. (2020). Retrieved 4 August 2020, from http://lwb-online.org/

Pikist. (2020). mobile phone, smartphone, hand, particles, wave, color, colorful, lines, pattern, abstract, design [Image]. Retrieved from https://www.pikist.com/free-photo-sqefd

West, M. (2012). Turning on mobile learning: global themes. UNESCO Working Paper Series On Mobile Learning. Retrieved from https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000216451

Collaborating and co-teaching; working with and leading colleagues: Inquiry Blog Post #3

How to share new learning with my wider educational community.

As a Teacher Librarian, I love the fact that I get to interact with everyone in the entire school. Most of my collaborative planning for co-teaching happens “on the fly” in conversations I have with classroom teachers. Through these conversations, I have built relationships and learned what each needs, wants and prefers. It took my first year of being a TL to build the trust of my colleagues in that they know they can rely on me and know I am capable. It is strange that the TL is one of the only positions where building relationships with the entire staff is a must! Now that I feel established at my school and solidified relationships, I can really start to make changes.

Start slow:

Many teachers are still getting used to the idea of having a TL available to them more often. There was a such a long time where the position was so limited that many TLs worked at multiple schools and only had time for book exchanges, maintaining the collection and maybe a few lessons squeezed in. So, teachers got used to doing it all on their own and so are out of practice with collaborative teaching. In addition, when I started as a TL, it was the big push to transition to a Learning Commons model. Therefore, classroom teachers needed time and information about what this change means. I think many still don’t understand also because the transition is still happening in many instances. I think many teachers are worried that they will get used to co-teaching and collaborating and then have it taken away again. I had one teacher tell me that she got discouraged from being let down by making plans and then, for example, someone gets sick so the teacher feels they have to do it alone again. In this instance, I worked really hard to build this person’s trust in proving that I am reliable and now we do collaborate and co-teach.

Put yourself out there:

• Join leadership committees: I have been part of the Professional Development committee, Staff committee, and volunteered to be the staff technology specialist.
  • Staff meetings: In each staff meeting, the Library is on the agenda to speak, I use this time to not only speak about what activities the library is hosting but also to remind the staff of the kinds of services I offer and constantly highlight collaborative services.
  • Meeting with the administration: I believe it is important to advocate for the what is best for the LLC, the school and teachers. At times, even though it is not my specific position, I feel I am speaking on behalf of teachers mostly because I end up talking to everyone in the school. The following document I accessed through the Canadian School Libraries and think it will come in handy in support of Administrators should be involved in the LLC:

Leading the Way with the Library Learning Commons:Examples of administrative leadership to transform school libraries in Canada to 21st century learning commons centres

Principals as Leaders: “At the school level, the principal is key in establishing and encouraging working partnerships among staff and students. The principal must provide the climate for co-operation, experimentation and growth. The Learning Commons has great potential, but only when everyone participates.” Together for Learning (Ontario School Library Association, 2010, p. 40). This chart makes connections between the Ontario Ministry of Education’s Leadership Framework and how the learning commons approach described in Together for Learning builds leadership capacity.”

The chart that is referred to above gives a great outline for leadership expectations for TLs and Administrators through the LLC.

Know your audience:

I try to advocate for technology use but I know there are many teachers that don’t feel comfortable or want to avoid screen time because they feel like students get enough at home. It is my belief that we as teachers are doing students a disservice if we avoid technology altogether but I cannot force a teacher to use technology with their class. As well, it would be nice if students throughout the school all received the same skills. Therefore, if teachers are hesitant, I make subtle suggestions, at inadvertent times, until I hit on one they feel comfortable with. For example, I have suggested splitting classes in half where I work with one half on technology and the teacher works on another activity with the other half and then we switch.

This article, Introduce Little Ones to Coding, Screen-Free, with KUBO | Tech Review by  Jessica Ralli, found at School Library Journal reminded me of the different coding activities that are screen-free. Although I am not familiar with KUBO, it sounds a lot like the other coding toys, that I also have access to through my district. This is another activity that might be best in small groups or as centers. It also made me think of physical coding activities that use the child’s body to work through coding skills. So if a teacher wants to avoid screen time with students, there are other ways to sneak the skills in.

At other times, I’ve told teachers that I am offering a program for a particular grade. For example, I informed grade 4/5 teachers that I organized Coding Quest with a guest expert to help out and told them the time it was happening and they all showed up.

Professional Development Strategies:

So far, I have mostly shared my professional development strategies to a few individuals at a time. For example, I think of one or two teachers who may be open and willing to try a new technique because it might fit with a unit I know they teach or fits with their style of teaching. However, it might be time to get out of my comfort zone and the comfort zone of some of the teachers at my school and make some changes!

I like the suggested strategies in the following article to ease into providing professional development to my wider community:

Building Inquiry Understanding with Classroom Colleagues.

Article by KRISTIN FONTICHIARO

One of my key interests and a goal as a Teacher Librarian is to implement a school-wide culture of inquiry-based teaching and learning. At my particular school, this is a big challenge as I find many teachers are reluctant to try this strategy either because they feel they don’t know how to do it or they are a bit stuck in their ways. This article has some good suggestions on how a Teacher Librarian can lead a professional development workshop on inquiry-based teaching and learning in a gentle, non-judgmental way. The author  calls it “Nudging Towards Inquiry”.

What I like about this article is that it gives specific strategies to use and incorporates digital technologies. It even gives a rough outline of how the workshop(s) could go. She explains that this could be done in short “lessons” in a series of staff meetings or one workshop on a professional development day.

Fontichiaro makes this important point: ” Do not use actual lesson
plans from the local school or district; few people are truly
comfortable having their work evaluated or poked by others.
(Even asking teachers to do a search for a “good” inquiry
lesson plan in their content area could backfire, because their
selection might be criticized by others. The school librarian
providing a neutral example will eliminate any finger-pointing among faculty.) Pushing back on a third-party lesson plan selected in
advance by the school librarian—and possibly even printed
with no identification—saves problematic reactions” (p.50).

Suggestions like this are good for a staff like mine and I definitely don’t want to be the person who offend anyone; I think that is a reason why I have been reluctant to offer official professional development.

How can I evolve and adapt the access to the “Professional Collection” to be more responsive to the personalized needs of the educators, staff, admin, parents, and other members of our educational community?

When I started at my current library, the Professional Collection was stored in a locked storage room on a high shelf; there were only a few current selections with most being very out-of-date. In beginning to remove the items from the catalog, I realized that most of the barcodes had been reassigned which means those resources were removed a long time ago so I’m  not sure why they were still hanging around! Once properly disposing of those items, there were not many left over. I moved the professional collection out of the back storage and into a closed cupboard with signage on the front so that it was easier for teachers to access but not for students. I then asked for staff recommendations for professional literature but didn’t get much feedback. In talking with another colleague, it seems like teachers just bought their own copies and then kept them stashed away, our question then was, why not share? So, I like the idea that a classmate in this course shared about having a professional literature exchange for teachers through the library. I understand why some people think that the idea of “The Professional Collection” may be out-of-date but I believe it often comes in handy as a starting point in some kinds of lesson planning.

My staff has also tried a professional reading book club that took place after school. It was fairly successful with many teachers involved. This was through the professional development committee; however, I was thinking of offering it this year with the professional development that I am interested in: Launch: Using Design Thinking to Boost Creativity and Bring Out the Maker in Every Student by John Spencer and A.J. Juliani (grade level K-12) and Inquiry-Based Early Learning Environments: Creating, Supporting, and Collaborating by Susan Stacey (grade level K-3) (that I shared in the reading review A).

Since I am getting more online professional resources, networks and connections, these are things I can share with the wider school community. I would like to do this through a Virtual Learning Commons, I just need to create it first! I have tried to create one before but the format that was offered through my district was not user friendly for me. I want the Virtual Learning Commons to be used by all members of my school community so not only will I share resources for students but for teachers and parents as well such as including a Twitter feed and posting educational articles. For example, I would like to have a link to some sort of “Guidelines for creating good essential questions for inquiry”. In addition, some way for parents and teachers to give me suggestions or comments would be beneficial as well.

THE VIRTUAL LEARNING COMMONS:
This site has some good suggestions for creating a Virtual Learning Commons. I like how it suggests that it be a Participatory Virtual Learning Commons where students and teachers give input into what it contains because “if they help build it, they will use it!”.
It also give different templates for how to design a Virtual Learning Commons for different school levels so I looked at the template for elementary. It give good suggestions for elements, links and tabs to include.

Plans for implementation in the coming year:

A large goal of mine in offering professional development is encouraging more teachers to collaborate with me.

Currently at my school, we are not given release time for collaborative planning which makes it difficult to carry out collaborative lessons. Therefore, in the coming year, I will be advocating to my administration for more collaboration time with teachers.

My challenge for next year will be offering specific professional development workshops whether on a pro-d day or a short series in staff meetings.

Finally, I plan to develop a Virtual Learning Commons whether that be a blog or website.

Coding Quest | The Learning Partnership. (2020). Retrieved 2 August 2020, from https://www.thelearningpartnership.ca/programs/coding-quest

FONTICHIARO, K. (2015). Building Inquiry Understanding with Classroom Colleagues. School Library Monthly31(5), 49–51.

Leading the Way with the Library Learning Commons – Canadian School Libraries. (2020). Retrieved 30 July 2020, from https://www.canadianschoollibraries.ca/leading-the-way/

Pikrepo: Royalty-free HD learning photos. (2020). Person writing learning lessons post [Image]. Retrieved from https://www.pikrepo.com/fphft/person-writing-learning-lessons-post

Ralli, J. (2018). Introduce Little Ones to Coding, Screen-Free, with KUBO | Tech Review. Retrieved 30 July 2020, from https://www.slj.com/?detailStory=introduce-little-ones-to-coding,-screen-free-with-kubo-tech-review