Online tools for the Teacher Librarian – Learning log 2 from module 6

Introduction:

Over my time taking all of the courses for the Diploma in Teacher Librarianship, I have come across a variety of documents, website and webtools that I keep saying I will come back to explore more because I have only had the time to skim them. Symbaloo is one of those tools. I heard of SYMBALOO and found an example of one recently so it has been on my “to-do list” since then. Now, I am glad that I have the opportunity to explore it and create my own.

The process:

The first thing I did was watch the informational video and it was helpful to learn that there are two versions and I did not know about the edu.symbaloo.com. The video gave many good tips and I ended up watching it a few times.

I feel like a webmix would be very useful as a start page on a 24/7 Participatory Learning Commons website. On my Destiny Original homepage, we have a list of helpful links to websites but I have always found it very challenging for the students to look through all the text to find the site needed. I always felt that having a more visual collection of links would be more accessible for K-5 students and have asked for it before but it has not happened. Therefore, I feel like something like Symbaloo is an answer to this problem as it is a collection of weblinks but with more visuals which I feel will be more user-friendly for my patrons. Additionally, I think it would be useful to have separate ones for students, parents and teachers. I like the idea of the “lesson plan” tool in Symbaloo and think it might be a good solution to some challenges for our eBlend teachers in our district.

The kinds of Symbaloo I have decided to create this time contains a variety of webtools to specific areas that are highly used or in need at our school at the moment. The purpose of this webmix will be a quick access tool for students and teachers of high use sites.

In watching the instructional video, it reminded me of many tools that I have been meaning to use or had forgotten about. In addition, it made suggestions for new tools to me or how to find helpful tools in my desired area.

This is what I have added to my webmix and why.

Useful sites that I have been using and will be using more:

Office365 – District-wide for all staff and students.

Destiny homepage for my LLC catalog

Scholastic website has many useful areas

Common Sense Media – lessons for digital citizenship

Cool Math 4 kids – different than it used to be so I felt like we needed new math game sites.

ABCYA – good for our primary students with age-appropriate games in literacy, numeracy, and computer skills.

Starfall – I especially like the literacy tools on this site for early primary.

Kiddle – search engine for kids

Code.org – I find this a very useful site for teaching and applying coding skills for all ages, not sure if I can find one to top it. I did try to find a few others to add to the Symbaloo.

Wonderopolis – good for teaching inquiry skills

Sites/tools I have heard of and wanted to explore more:

Padlet – was suggested to me by an instructor in another course as a possible presentation tool and I looked at it but decided it was not what I needed at the time but think it could be useful for students and teachers.

ReadWriteThink – I have heard of good lesson ideas here.

Vimeo – I would like to play around with the video tools more.

Buncee – heard of this on a facebook group and want to learn more about it.

Voicethread – For making videos for book talks/book trailers or another way to share learning.

Flipgrid – I have heard of other educators using this tool and finding it useful but I haven’t used it myself yet.

New sites/tools to me:

eMaze presentation tool software

StoryboardThat – storyboard app for digital storytelling – I am excited to explore and use this with students.

Explain Everything – whiteboard app – teacher tool

Go formative – looks like a good teacher tool

Brainpop jr. – I like how this site appears to have tools for a variety of subject areas.

I was looking for some new, age appropriate free math sites and typing tools and online drawing sites so that is why I have added a few of those.

Rationale:

Like many other students in the class, in looking at the BC Digital Literacy Framework, I felt very overwhelmed. Although I have begun to teach technology lessons to intermediate students, I’m not sure how students are going to meet all of the outcomes listed in the framework. Also, like many classmates commented, I feel like many teachers are not aware of the framework. Even as the Media/Technology specialist, I only found out about NETS in my 9th course in the program but it seems like the most important aspect because, as the framework states,”The profiles are based on International Society for Technology in Education’s (ISTE) NETS•S standards and a belief that all students must have regular opportunities to use technology to develop skills that encourage personal productivity, creativity, critical thinking, and collaboration in the classroom and in daily life”(“Digital Literacy – Province of British Columbia”, 2020). At another staff meeting or professional development day, I would like to ask other teachers if they are familiar with it. 

What I found most useful in the framework is the suggested lessons for specific grade/age levels. For example, the lesson ideas for grades 3-5 such as ” Produce a media-rich digital story about a significant local event based on first-person interviews” and “Use digital-imaging technology to modify or create works of art for use in a digital presentation” and then connecting these activities to the competencies. The lesson suggestions seem simple enough to do and meet several competencies at once.

The way that the Symbaloo webmix meets digital and media literacies is in that “… kids need to develop skills and habits of media literacy. These skills include being able to access media on a basic level, to analyze it in a critical way based on certain key concepts, to evaluate it based on that analysis and, finally, to produce media oneself. This process of learning media literacy skills is media education” (“Media Literacy Fundamentals”, 2020). The tools that I have included in my webmix gives options of different tools for similar skills and I have noticed the best way to find out if a tool is useful is to get students to try it and they let me know if it is user-friendly for them and helps them to improve their skills in the desired area. So, they are given the opportunity to access, analyze and evaluate a variety of media tools.

Another aspect that can be covered in using the different types of websites is to teach students to be aware of how to maneuver sites when the site asks for log-ins or for upgrades to the program. Teaching students to read carefully before just clicking on OK: “For example, youth cannot fully understand why online services want to collect their personal information without exploring the commercial considerations of those services, a traditional concern of media literacy”(“The Intersection of Digital and Media Literacy”, 2020). Some of the tools ask for a log-in or ask if you want to upgrade but, if you read carefully, you can still use the site without taking extra steps. 

I like how our module notes point out:

“Where students need the teacher librarian the most is, to help them:

• to think critically and to let them know when they are thinking critically;
  • to articulate and justify their use of digital information (Why did you include this?, What message are you trying to convey? Who is your audience? Why did you choose this tool?);
  • to model and scaffold the ethical use of information and behaviour in digital environments;
  • to provide discussion around students’ digital identities and provide opportunity to develop those identities” (UBC, 2020).

I agree that these are some of the most important aspects of the job in teaching students to properly use and decipher a variety of print and digital media. It is our job to expose students to educational tools even if they seems to be “digital natives” they are in need of guidance to be productive and responsible media users. 

Reflection:

Overall, I had the most fun exploring and playing with the different web tools that I am less familiar with and finding new ones in areas of need. I have split the Symbaloo into sections of math, typing, coding, presentation tools, art, reading, digital citizenship and teacher tools. After I felt like it was completed, I realized that I should have included more science tools but I think I will probably end up making separate webmixes for different subject areas.

Additionally, I had some unforeseen challenges such as I wanted to add Powtoon to my webmix and I tried to add the tile a few times but the link from the tile would not work. It kept saying the website doesn’t exist but it does. I tired it a few different ways but I could not get it to work! As well, I thought it would be easy to embed the Symbaloo into my UBC blog but it did not embed so that it why it is linked instead.

Overall, I feel like this is a useful tool that I am looking forward to trying with students and I enjoyed having the opportunity to explore new webtools. I feel like the webtools I have carefully chosen will enhance students’ digital and media literacies by exposing them to a variety of tools that gives them the opportunity to make choices about tools that work for them but all educational focusing on specific skills.

Works cited:

Digital Literacy – Province of British Columbia. Www2.gov.bc.ca. (2020). Retrieved from https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/k-12/teach/teaching-tools/digital-literacy.

Media Literacy Fundamentals. MediaSmarts. (2020). Retrieved 17 October 2020, from https://mediasmarts.ca/digital-media-literacy/general-information/digital-media-literacy-fundamentals/media-literacy-fundamentals.

The Intersection of Digital and Media Literacy. MediaSmarts. (2020). Retrieved 17 October 2020, from https://mediasmarts.ca/digital-media-literacy/general-information/digital-media-literacy-fundamentals/intersection-digital-media-literacy.

UBC. “Supporting Learners Through the Library – Digital and Media Literacy”. Module 6 in LLED 462 Canvas online classroom, Winter 2020.

Wondering about Kindness: A multi-modal collection. Learning Log 1 – Prompt from module 4

The Premise

This year I had planned to carry out a “One book, one school” unit at my K-5 English language Elementary school where I am the Teacher Librarian. The idea is that every class in the school reads the same story at the same time and then creates activities, events and artworks to share with the entire school. This would in turn encourage connections in our school community and love of literacy. I also hoped to connect it to a specific time of year where there is other days to recognize such as Anti-bullying day where we could do kindness challenges.

Making It Better

Before taking this course, the plan was to use Wonder by R.J. Palacio because there are two different forms of the original story; the novel I thought could be for the intermediate classes and the picture book, We are all Wonders, for the primary students. In addition, I know there are more texts that have spawned from Wonder and R.J. Palacio so it is my hope that it will encourage students to read more after completing the original stories.
Upon completing the readings from Module 4: Learning from Multi-Modal Texts: a look at new literacies, I was inspired to look for even more variety in text options that connect to not only Wonder specifically but kindness, empathy and self-love in general. As well, through my research, I realized that World Kindness Day is November 13 this year so that would be a good connection and we could do this earlier in the year so we can practice kindness for longer!
In the article “Reading multimodal texts in the 21st century” (Serafini 2012) it explains the importance of providing multimodal texts to all students because “The amount of time students will spend looking at visual and multimodal texts in the new millennium will require a rethinking of current pedagogical approaches” (27). I believe that teaching visual literacy is vital for individuals to decode digital content effectively so I like how the article defines “four resources or social practices proposed are reader-viewer as: (a) navigator, (b) interpreter, (c) designer, and (d) interrogator” (27). For some reason I had never thought about a postmodern picture book as a multimodal text but of course it is because  “…features of postmodern picturebooks require the reader to navigate and interpret these texts in new ways, drawing upon their understandings of traditional print-based texts and their knowledge of visual images and design elements” (29). I find that students are good at reading pictures in early grades but then start to almost ignore the pictures as they get older and need to be reminded that the pictures are an important part of the story. So, I appreciate that the article also points out that “Being able to discuss aspects of visual images, for example, modality, framing, salience, information zones, composition, and linear perspective, is as important as being able to draw inferences from written text (Kress & van Leeuwen, 1996)” (30).  After reading this article, I felt like I needed to find more postmodern pictures books to add to this unit I have in mind. 

Multimodal Selections:

Upon completing this module, I rethought my selections to present to the school. In addition to my original selections of Wonder chapter book and We are all Wonders picture book, I have included illustrated chapter books, graphic novels, audiobooks, video clips, graphica, non-fiction, traditional picture books and postmodern picture books. All of these selections either directly connect to Wonder or contain the themes of kindness, friendship, empathy, and self-love.

Novels:

#1
Wonder - Book #1 of the Wonder #Companion

Wonder

R.J. Palacio

Wonder Stories (companion books to Wonder)

The Julian chapter - Book #1.5 of the Wonder #Companion

The Julian chapter

R.J. Palacio
Pluto: A Wonder Story - Book #1.6 of the Wonder #Companion

Pluto: A Wonder Story

R.J. Palacio
Shingaling: A Wonder Story - Book #1.7 of the Wonder #Companion

Shingaling: A Wonder Story

R.J. Palacio
Auggie & Me: Three Wonder Stories - Book of the Wonder #Companion

Auggie & Me: Three Wonder Stories

R.J. Palacio
365 Days of Wonder - Book of the Wonder #Companion

365 Days of Wonder

R.J. Palacio
I like this selection because the text is not presented like a traditional novel. So, although it looks like it has many pages, each page presents a precept (inspirational quote) from the teacher character from the original novel.

Out of Place, by Jennifer Blecher
This novel explores themes of friendship and bullying from the perspective of a 12-year-old girl.

Picture books:

We're All Wonders - Book of the Wonder #Companion

We’re All Wonders

R.J. Palacio

The Kindness Book, by Todd Parr
A classic! Portrays to young children different ways everyone can be kind to each other.

Ping, by Ani Castillo
I chose this picture book because I wanted more choices for the primary grades which focuses on kindness and how to make friends. The book is described as “…teach[ing] children how to ping (to give, act, or speak) and to pong (to receive, interpret, and respond)”.

Ani Castillo reads Ping!

Audiobooks:
R. J. Palacio - The Wonder Collection: Wonder, The Julian Chapter, Pluto, Shingaling - Book of the Wonder #Companion

R. J. Palacio – The Wonder Collection: Wonder, The Julian Chapter, Pluto, Shingaling

R.J. Palacio

Illustrated novel:

The Very, Very Far North, by Dan Bar-El
An illustrated novel with the theme of friendship for students in grade 4/5.

Graphic novels:

White Bird - Book of the Wonder #Companion

White Bird – R.J. Palacio

Connected to the story of Wonder it is another story which portrays the power of kindness.

El Deafo -By Cece Bell

This story is similar to Wonder in that the main character has a disability that makes her feel different but she turns it into a superpower.

Videos:

I have chosen this video because it shows real individuals with craniofacial conditions like the main character of Auggie Pullman in Wonder. I feel that it would be beneficial for students to know that it is a real condition and real people are affected by it.
This video is another good example of  digital storytelling which also portrays the idea of self-acceptance and perseverance.

Graphica

This video is great because the story is represented visually with music to set the tone. It would be a good example for students to follow for digital storytelling and to discuss the kind of music one could add to portray mood in storytelling.

Videobook:

This videobook discusses ideas for kindness challenges. It is good for multi-modal learning as it contains the auditory story and text that students can read at the same time, some of which are not the words being spoken.

Presentations:

This would be another good example of a product that students may want to create after reading the stories.

Non-fiction:

Where Children Sleep by James Mollison
Photographer James Mollison’s book is a collection of photographs of children’s bedrooms from around the world. I have linked to the website which also contains the pictures. These pictures would be a good discussion starter with students to recognize needs and wants. They can see how some children in parts of the world do not have much and some have way too much. This encourages empathy and  understanding of “equality”.

Multimodal Products to be shared:

The culminating projects to be shared after reading will be determined by the classroom teacher’s interest and the grade level. For a couple of years now I have wanted to have students create book trailers but I also like the idea of digital storytelling presented in the article “Supporting middle years students in creating multimodal texts with iPad apps”(Barton & Trimble-Roles 2016). I agree with the sentiment “the range of modes and combinations of these that middle years students engage with may not equate with those provided or expected at school. Equally so, students may not be as adept at using technology as we think”(i) and believe it is the job of the Teacher Librarian to give technology tools and instruction for responsible and productive use. Also, I really like the Seven Elements of Digital stories (iii) guidelines  given in the article; I feel like they will be useful in creating engaging final products. The students will enjoy creating and sharing these digital stories and younger students will enjoy seeing them as well. 
Another option could be to create a product inspired by the style of students’ favourite books to make their own Wonder or kindness story as per the case in the article “Becoming Multimodal: Literacy In and Beyond the Classroom” (Lenters 2018).  I really connected to this article as my daughter began making a creating that connected to a series of books that she enjoys after I read the article. After posting to our class discussion, from the responses, I reflected that this kind of product could be a suggestion to students if they come up with an idea of different ways to express their representations of the readings. I feel like this would be an effective project because “…uses of multimodality in the classroom allow educators to provide students with a rich communicative repertoire for working with story and information”. This would allow students that may not want to create a digital artifact the opportunity to create in a way they want to express themselves. 

Conclusion:

Originally, I was excited to bring the school together through sharing a similar book in all classrooms and hopefully inspire some related reading. Now, with the variety of texts that will give options for learning styles, interests and options for product to be created and shared in connection, I feel it will be so effective in fostering a literacy program and building a community of kindness in my school.

Works cited:

Amazon.ca. Where Children Sleep Cover. 2020, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1905712162?pf_rd_r=H7PMH1E090HBT479QQKN&pf_rd_p=05326fd5-c43e-4948-99b1-a65b129fdd73. Accessed 3 Oct 2020.
Asselin, Sienna. “10 Books That Teach Children Kindness And Empathy”. Savvymom, 2020, https://www.savvymom.ca/article/books-that-teach-children-kindness-and-empathy/. Accessed 27 Sept 2020.
“Read To Them”. Read To Them, 2020, https://readtothem.org/programs/one-school-one-book/.
thriftbooks. Series/Wonder-Companion. 2020, https://www.thriftbooks.com/series/wonder-companion/73995/. Accessed 27 Sept 2020.
“Where Children Sleep — JAMES MOLLISON”. JAMES MOLLISON, 2020, https://www.jamesmollison.com/where-children-sleep.
You tube. Hair Love. 2020, https://youtu.be/kNw8V_Fkw28. Accessed 27 Sept 2020.
You tube. I am Auggie Pullman. 2020, https://youtu.be/N7SdUbSADP0. Accessed 27 Sept 2020.
You tube. Alber, Diane. Kindness Snippet Jar. 2019, https://youtu.be/goIozhmPL3Q. Accessed 27 Sept 2020.
You tube. Wonder abstract storytelling. 2020, https://youtu.be/RQ69NFKsyns. Accessed 27 Sept 2020.