Professional Development (PD) Seminar Series is organized by the Chemical & Biological Engineering Graduate Student Club and is supported by the Department of Chemical & Biological Engineering and is held during the Winter/Spring terms. In this monthly seminar series, successful professionals such as faculty members and/or alumni of CHBE department share the stories of their career paths including making important career decisions. These highly interactive seminars provide an excellent opportunity to hear and learn from instructing and exciting experiences of the speakers. Also, we believe these seminars are beneficial for graduate students in developing the skills necessary for professional work environment in academia/industry.
Here are a list of past Professional Development Seminars.
- Dr. Naoko Ellis | Associate Professor, UBC CHBE | October 11, 2011 | How I got here…
- Dr. John Grace | Professor, UBC CHBE | November 30, 2011 | Some perspectives based on multi-faceted experiences as an engineering professor
- Mr. Oba Harding | Director, Business Development, Mitacs | January 30, 2012 | Taking your skills from lab to industry: Mitacs Step, Accelerate and Elevate
- Dr. David Wilkinson | Professor, UBC CHBE | February 28, 2012 | Unexpected Passages and Connections
- Dr. Peter Englezos | Professor, UBC CHBE | November 26, 2012 | Reflections on being a chemical engineering professor
- Dr. Clive Brereton | Vice President Technology, NORAM Engineering and Constructors Limited | Adjunct Professor, UBC CHBE | March 14, 2013 | Corporate & Experience Overview
- Dr. Shahram Tafazoli | President and CEO of Motion Metrics International Corporation | April 09, 2013 | Starting and Running an Innovative Company – A Case Study
- Dr. Xiaotao Tony Bi | Professor, UBC CHBE | September 20, 2013 | Particle Technology, Clean Energy and Green Engineering ‐ A personal journey and perspectives
- Dr. Madjid Mohseni | Professor, UBC CHBE | October 30, 2013 | Pursuit of a professional career: some experiences and perspectives
- Dr. Shahab Sokhansanj | Adjunct Professor, UBC CHBE | November 27, 2013 | My Journey – Shahab Sokhansanj
- Mr. Claudio Arato | Director, Engineering, Sonoro Energy | January 13, 2014 | Applications in Engineering – Opportunity & Risk in a Changing World
- Dr. Patrick Littlejohn | Senior Technology Development Specialist, BioteQ Environmental Technologies | February 17, 2014 | Public Speaking for Engineering Grad Students
- Dr. Eric Jervis | Principal Scientist, Stemcell Technologies | March 31, 2014 | What do I wish someone had told me 20 years ago – and what has changed since
- Dr. Mattheos Koffas | Associate Professor of Biology, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute | September 18, 2014 | Using Chemical Engineering to Solve Problems in Areas Least Expected
- Dr. Vikram Yadaz | Assistant Professor, UBC CHBE | March 11, 2015 | My experiences as a young academician
This list will be updated.