Unit 3 – Reflection Blog

Drafting for Formal Report 

Drafting the formal report was a pretty challenging task for me. This was mainly due to my inexperience with this type of composition. However, we discussed the concept of you-attitude in the previous lesson. The pointers were helpful while writing the formal report. This enabled me to write more concisely, clearly, and persuasively for the audience.

Another tricky part was making the charts for the formal report. However, this task took a lot of time and required patience on my part. There were so many settings and variables, which was a bit overwhelming. I had to test the elements (like colours, axes, etc) to find the right combination, which took a few attempts. This process gave direction on what information to include and how to present that information cohesively.

Peer Review with Carman

Peer-reviewing is a crucial component of this course and one that I needed to improve upon. The instructor gave me great feedback, which I applied to this peer-review. Carman was my peer-review partner in our writing group for this assignment. I took time to carefully review the formal report.

Carman demonstrated remarkable clearness and conciseness in her writing. This greatly aided the audience in understanding her examination of wait-list/wait-time issues at Cactus Club Cafe. In addition, her writing also emphasizes the importance of organization and structure. She effectively used the headings and subheadings to organize her report, which made it more readable. 

However, there were still some corrections to be made. Some of the more minor issues involved making corrections to grammar and paragraph flow. While a more critical issue that needed clarification was where the sources (like survey data or background information) came from. Identifying whether they are primary or secondary will enhance the credibility of the final version of the formal report. Plagiarism can also be avoided by doing this. 

Furthermore, Carman gave me great feedback to me. She pointed out the weak points in grammar and how to work on them effectively. Her advice was clear and concise, making it easy to understand and implement in the formal report. Also, after peer-reviewing hers, I feel compelled to rearrange my formal report. I want to improve the cohesion of each section and convey the ideas more clearly. Ultimately, to improve the quality of my formal report.

Overall, I was thoroughly impressed with Carman’s draft. The formal report was insightful. She effectively communicated her ideas through her writing. She gave a detailed analysis and concrete recommendations for integrating online wait-lists/wait-times into the operations of Cactus Club Cafe. It was a pleasure to peer review her formal report. I’m looking forward to seeing the final version. 

Concluding Comments on Unit 3 

In general, this unit was enjoyable and challenging. I learned some excellent pointers from you-attitude. The intensive nature of the assignments improved my writing skills. I gained a greater understanding of workplace communication from the peer-review. Overall, I am excited to implement what I have learned in the course so far. 

Links to Assignments