1.2 – Letter of Application

319E Craig Henry Drive
Ottawa, ON, K2G 4G1

January 25th, 2023
English 301 – Technical Writing Course
University of British Columbia
1873 East Mall, Unit 397
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1

Subject: Letter of Application

Dear Classmates of English 301:

I am writing to express my interest in joining your writing team. I am confident that my academic and professional experiences will support those of your writing team.

I am a fourth-year student in Interdisciplinary Studies that will earn a Bachelor of Arts in May of 2023. My area of research involves English Studies and Asian Studies. The focus of my research is to investigate and analyze the distinctive socio-cultural traits that surface in various forms of western and non-western media. The interdisciplinary program’s intensive application of writing has allowed me to produce multiple reports, essays, articles, and peer reviews that have further cultivated my research and writing skills in academia.

In addition, my professional experience ranges from working as a supervisor in retail to being a copywriter for an e-commerce company that imports and sells beauty products. These professional experiences have enhanced my interpersonal, technical, and leadership skills. To illustrate, in my role as supervisor, I learned soft skills that allowed me to develop and maintain a professional attitude while facilitating written and verbal communication between management, peers, and staff. In contrast, as a copywriter, I learned hard skills by writing technical documents like briefs, reports, and memos pertinent to projects involving different departments like sales, advertising, and marketing.

While I have extensive writing experience, I tend to struggle to structure my writing in a way that’s clear and concise. As I’m not a native speaker of the language, this struggle to structure is a skill I hope to improve during this course. My learning philosophy is that there’s always room for growth. I firmly believe practice, patience, and an open-mind can often aid in that growth.

Overall, my academic and professional experiences can be an asset to your writing team. If you are interested in having me as a member of your team, I am reachable at:

cheka@student.ubc.ca

Thank-you for considering my application.

Sincerely,

Cheka Duheme

Downloadable Copy of Application:
301_ChekaDuheme_ApplicationLetter