6. Educators have a broad knowledge base and understand the subject areas they teach.

As I reflect on this standard I cannot help but wonder about the range of knowledge and experiences that each teacher brings to the profession. I would assume that all educators graduating from university will have a broad base of knowledge but that base will differ greatly from individual to individual depending upon their areas of special interest and expertise. I believe that I bring to this profession relevant knowledge and varied skills developed not only in school, but as a result of my sports experiences, outdoor education training, travel and other interests. Regardless, I do not feel that it is adequate to base my teaching on prior knowledge and skills alone. We are living in an age where information is growing exponentially and it is impossible to be thoroughly knowledgeable about all subjects. Focusing primarily on the acquisition of knowledge is also not what I believe to be the purpose of education.

To me, being an educator is about helping students develop a passion for learning and the skills needed to become life-long learners. I view myself as a life-long learner who will continue to learn about teaching methods and practices as I evolve as a teacher.

My Life So Far