7. Educators engage in career-long learning.

This reflection follows naturally from the previous standard. Given that we are living in, what is commonly referred to as, the information or digital age, it is essential that educators continue to develop their professional knowledge and skills throughout their careers. During my practicum there were a number of professional development opportunities planned as school district events or organized within the school itself. I was impressed by the initiatives taken by the educators at my school to upgrade their educational technology skills. Despite being incredibly busy, weekly meetings were held during lunchtime and/or after school to provide training for the use of the Smartboard during instruction and for teaching student iPad activities.

For my enhanced practicum, I chose an outdoor education setting to further develop my teaching skills in this area of education. This practicum involved spending 3 weeks at the Horne Lake Caves Provincial Park, near Qualicum, on Vancouver Island. This is the site of three interconnected businesses that provide outdoor programming for elementary and secondary school aged groups. The caves provided learning opportunities related to geology, earth and natural science and sustainability. The outdoor education component focused on developing skills such as hiking, climbing, canoeing and team building. The lakefront campground provided learning opportunities with an emphasis on nature studies, sustainability and camping skills.

A requirement of this practicum was for my partner (Brittany Shoemaker) and I to complete a marketing presentation to be used to promote Horne Lake Caves to teachers on Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland. This artifact, a Prezi about Horne Lake, represents my involvement in an alternative education setting as a means to further develop my knowledge and skills in outdoor education.

I consider that outdoor education opportunities for all students are very important elements in a balanced educational program. I believe that too much learning involves the use of technology, takes place indoors and does not encompass all aspects of the student’s development. Having more direct contact with their natural environment also allows students to become more aware of their relationship with, and responsibility for, the environment.