Mr. Rogers Can’t Rope Us In For So Long Anymore…

My cousin just moved to Canada from China. He has an unlocked iPhone, so he didn’t need a new phone, but he did need a cellphone plan in order to use it. So, we began searching for a suitable company for his purposes. He doesn’t need data, which most phone companies seem to be offering as incentive, nor a lot of minutes, mostly just text messaging. We looked at all the major companies, like Fido, Rogers, Bell, Telus, Wind, Mobilicity.

To my surprise, I discovered that the plan I was using, which I started only a few months prior, was missing from the Fido website, replaced by one 10$ more expensive. WHY WAS IT GONE?? I did some research and found that the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has eliminated the 3 year contract, reducing it to a maximum of 2 years. I then realized that this makes sense, because if Rogers can’t keep us paying for as long anymore, then it will charge us more for a shorter amount of time. That explains why the service plans increased so dramatically in price.

15. November 2013 by cherrychang
Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment