Ultra Rich or Ultra B*tch Asian Girls?

When the reality show, “Ultra Rich Asian Girls” was announced to be broadcast, I was ecstatic. I was interested to see how the girls would be portrayed and how they would act. But the next thing that came to mind was, “How is the producer earning profit? What is his goal of producing this reality show?”

Producer of reality show, Kevin Li, claims that he wants to share the demographic of Chinese immigrants and for others to understand where their wealth originates. Since he releases all episodes online, how is he making any profit? From where does he obtain his funding for all the equipment used to produce an episode? His target audience is the people from Mainland China but he is also garnering much attention from the general public, which may not be something he wants. Many have criticized the show, commenting on the absurdity of the idea. Why would people want to watch rich girls flaunting their money in our faces or gossiping about plastic surgery?

The producer may be generating profit from various sponsorship. However, I’m a little wary about that since the show did not begin with a positive image. Companies that sponsor the show may not want their products to be associated with these girls (I have not yet watched the show, therefore I cannot accurately define the girls’ attitudes) because of their attitudes or image on television.  Personally, I do believe people will continue watching the series to see what else these girls have to offer and to catch a glimpse of the “rich Asian life”, but I don’t think the image of the show will change any time soon unless the producer changes the direction of the show completely.

Fazioli pianos already cost a few hundred thousand dollars, but one of the girls would like a better one.

Sources: Article, Image #1, Image #2, Image #3