Catch the Ball

Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 10.06.11

Image copied from: http://www.fastcodesign.com/3037597/catch-the-addictive-new-game-by-a-graphic-design-guru

I read an article named Catch: The Addictive New Game By A Graphic Design Guru, which introduces a new IOS addictive game called “Catch”. “Catch” is an easy game. “There’s a yellow ball bouncing on your screen and you have to catch it three times before time runs out.” (Catch: The Addictive New Game) The game is going to be more difficult as the level goes up, but basically, the rule is simple. Although the rule is simple, the design is creative. Devices are 2-D, but the game is 3-D. Other than tapping on the ball and catching it, players tap in front of the ball. After tapping, a hand comes out of the background, raises and catches the coming ball. This design requires players to make a prediction of the ball’s flying direction and speed. Games with simple rules are easy to be addictive. For example, Angry Birds, Flappy Birds, and 2048, are all addictive games with simple rules. People love them because these games are easy to understand, and players only need repetitive practice to level up. Though I am not keen on games, I downloaded and tried “Catch” on my iPhone. First I thought the game is a piece of snack, actually it is not, at least for me. I need to keep practicing to catch the ball in a shorter time and avoid hitting flying bars. I believe this game can catch people’s eyes, because of the creative design and simple rule.