Re: Can Fast Fashion be Both Affordable and Ethical

fast fashion - 2Image from Fast Fashion- There’s a Reason Your Clothes Are So Cheap

I am a big fan of H&M, GAP, and Uniqlo. The reason is simple: they are trendy and cheap.

However, I have the problem that Amy (Chae Won Wu) mentioned in her blog Can Fast Fashion be Both Affordable and Ethical —I do not wear them often. Because of the low price, I do not hesitate to buy much clothing every time I shop. How wrong I am! After I bring them home, I realize that I hardly have chances to wear them in most of my life. Originally, I choose fast fashion is to save money, but indeed, I am wasting money.

As a consumer, my shopping habit is insane but common. Millions of girls consume fast fashion like me. I really appreciate these fast fashion companies’ marketing strategy. Cheap fashionable clothing is like drugs. Customers are addicted to buying more and more.

thebusinessoffastfashion

Image from The Business of Fast Fashion

I do not think a good marketing strategy means unethical, but making toxic products is unethical for certain. According to Greenpeace (2012), H&M’s and Zara’s products contained hazardous chemicals that could cause cancer and hormone disruption. Reducing cost is important for the fast fashion industry, which is a competitive market with low price. However, customers value safety more than cheap trendy clothing. If they keep selling toxic clothing, I would rather spend more money to buy a sense of safety.