Linking Assignment #5 – Mode Bending

I chose to link to Eduardo Rebagliati’s post on Mode Bending.

Task 7: Mode-Bending

I appreciated the different lens that he looked at the “What’s in the bag assignment” through.  Right away he speaks about how he wanted to give more clues, instead of using only gestures.  This also reminds me of the struggle I experienced during the emoji story task; how can I ensure that my intended meaning is being expressed through visuals instead of words? I agree with Eduardo that my experience has led to a similar belief that “visual and textual representations are usually the most precise modes to describe objects”.  I can again connect this to the emoji task where images often felt underqualified to represent the ideas that I was hoping to express.  His connection between dynamic images of verbs and the value of adding the sounds that his bag items made was very interesting.  In my mode bend, I also tried to make the assignment more dynamic, but in a different way.  Instead of trying to interpret specific items to aid in identification, I attempted to push their thinking beyond the literal and have viewers make inferences and recognize potential biases. Eduardo came to a similar conclusion with his assignment, that it is very possible to identify and analyze cultural bias through his task, which is the main focus of my mode bend.