Linking Assignment #4 – Twine

I’ve chosen to link to Graeme Baerg’s Twine post.

https://blogs.ubc.ca/gbaerg540/twine-task/

I really appreciated how Graeme took a different approach to the same task.  It was the first Twine creation for both of us, and he experimented with a non-linear story that didn’t have a climax.  This made me recognize the thought process that I used, which was similar regarding a non-linear story, but different in that I feel my story lines all had a climax.  I wonder if this was a cultural bias, in that the stories that I’m used to hearing and teaching all have a climax.  Is this generational (Graeme refers to ancient Greek scrolls as not having climaxes), or it is cultural?  I had made an incorrect assumption that all narratives have a climax, as I have been taught in school.

We certainly both struggled with the lack of training in the technology, which seemed to limit both of our stories.  He described his experience with “[u]sing Twine as hypertext was at once a foreign and familiar experience of attempting to create and maintain interactivity”.  I feel we both were able to imagine the possibilities since hyperlinking is not something foreign to either of us, but the challenge came in using the technology to express the way our brain was thinking.  The possibilities and potential was certainly there, but we both referred to our training as the main challenge.

While both of our blogs are similar in their presentation (mostly written text), one thing I struggled with was the context of the author.  Who is Graeme?  I struggled to even find his name on his blog, let alone anything about him.  I appreciated his personal insight on the top of his post about his recent family tragedy which was the only thing that told me anything about him.