eBay and PayPal spin-off

I bet many people have used eBay and PayPal. First of all, eBay and PayPal were not together until 2002. On October 3rd 2002 (which is amazingly today), eBay bought PayPal and owned them.
Now, since PayPal is still it’s fast growing segment, eBay has decided to spin off, meaning, “The creation of an independent company through the sale or distribution of new shares of an existing business or division of a parent company. “ from next year.

eBay-and-PayPal

I think what John Donahoe (president and CEO of eBay) did was great. eBay and PayPal are still popular and it shows no sign of slowing down. Thus, splitting these two up enables to expand their market and create more profit if it goes well. As mentioned before, people still rely on PayPal, especially people without credit cards find it easy to be able to pay online, therefore I doubt John Donahoe will regret about his decisions he made.
In fact, according to the company, eBay’s sales reduced by the growth of PayPal. Separating these two may create more opportunities for both sides and may establish a strong market for the online marketplace.