Unit 1:3 – Reflection

Unit 1 Reflection

Unit 1 of English 301:

Technical Writing was designed to introduce students to the course and its various components, including the platform, tools, and materials. Students were given the assignment of defining a complex term in their field of study through three definitions that progressed in complexity. This was followed by a peer-review process where students worked together to review and provide feedback on each other’s work. The final step involved revising the work based on the feedback received during the peer-review process.

The original writing process was a challenge. Balancing enough details to convey the meaning of the term, while not boring for the reader was difficult The peer-review process was a valuable experience as it allowed me to read and review another student’s work and learn from their writing style and techniques. I also critically analyze and make suggestions to improve my partner’s work, which helped me improve my own critical thinking and editing skills.

The self-editing process was an eye-opener as I received feedback on my work, which allowed me to reflect on my current writing skills and identify areas for improvement. I learned that editing is a crucial part of the writing process, and it helps to refine one’s work and make it more concise and readable. Furthermore, I appreciate the importance of considering the audience and purpose of writing, as well as ensuring that the writing is clear and concise.

Overall, Unit One has been a valuable learning experience that has taught me the importance of writing, peer reviewing, and editing. I have learned new skills such as writing in a professional manner, considering the audience and purpose of writing, and providing constructive criticism. I am excited to continue improving my writing skills and work with my team to produce high-quality work in the upcoming units.

The peer-review process was a valuable experience as it allowed me to read and review another student’s work and learn from their writing style and techniques. I also critically analyze and make suggestions to improve my partner’s work, which helped me improve my own critical thinking and editing skills.

Link to the revised definition: https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl30199c2022w2/2023/02/15/revised-definition-of-semiconductor/