HMV Loses to Online Shopping

Recently, consumers have been more and more engrossed in online shopping and I know the convenience of it, being one of the online shoppers myself. However, these have led devastating blows to large pop music supplies like HMV now faces an uncertain future with their £36M loss, as an article from The Guardian states.

source: http://cdn2.thelineofbestfit.com/media/2013/01/hmv-store.jpg

An interesting blog gives their opinion of it, stating that small chains are more likely to survive because of their flexibility to add in more physical products like toys and other goods. And it is true, as he says, that people often go into HMV stores to browse through their CDs so they can go home and buy it online.

What can they do? I think HMV faces no other choice but to cater online shopping as well, and to rely heavily on this rather than expect CD sales from their stores. Not only that, but perhaps they should also consider selling more physical products like T-shirts and collectibles of certain bands, although I hear they are already starting to do this. Finally, a focus on more customer service may lure customers in to the physical shop for the shopping experience itself.

However, whether these tactics will work or not is still uncertain, as it may be a little too late for HMV…