Course Reflection

Going into ENGL 301, I was uncertain about what a technical communication class entailed. Yet, the in-depth guidance and collaborative structure of the course helped me grasp entirely new concepts. In the process, I expanded my horizons and refined my professional communication abilities.

Throughout the term, I came to appreciate the critical role that attentiveness and revision play in producing quality work. Even when I believed I had a firm grasp of the guidelines and course content, feedback from classmates and instructors frequently highlighted areas I had missed. This experience taught me the importance of taking a step back, reassessing, and refining my work. A key lesson I learned was that investing time in polishing my work can lead to a far more impressive final product. The course showed me that making mistakes is acceptable, as long as I learn and grow from them.

At the beginning of the course, I found it challenging to accept constructive criticism. However, as the term progressed and peer evaluations became a routine part of the learning process, I understood that feedback is vital for personal and professional growth. I started to view feedback not as criticism but as a tool for improvement and growth. By engaging in collaborative reviews, I also realized that having areas for improvement is common. We all made errors and collectively helped each other identify and address them, providing the support I needed. I also discovered the value of reviewing my classmates’ work, as it exposed me to their unique strengths and approaches that I could apply to my own work.

Throughout ENGL 301, I refined my professional communication skills, from updating my LinkedIn profile to crafting an application package. I now feel more confident in presenting myself professionally across various contexts, such as job applications, interactions with professors, and everyday workplace communication. These skills will be invaluable in my future endeavors, no matter which industry I ultimately choose.

One of the most rewarding aspects of this course was the opportunity to work in groups and collaborate with my classmates. I learned a great deal from reading their work and receiving feedback on my own. My writing team, for instance, helped me improve my design sensibilities and objectivity within my formal report. I gained valuable insights from Elly’s design and composition skills and Long’s feedback on my report proposal, which encouraged me to widen my research scope and remain open to unforeseen information. I am grateful for the chance to work with such skilled individuals and am confident that the lessons I learned from them will benefit me in the future.

Participating in ENGL 301 proved to be a transformative experience for me. The course allowed me to grow not only professionally but also personally. I am grateful for the knowledge and skills I acquired and look forward to applying them in a variety of professional and educational settings.