Unit 3 Reflection

Unit Three helped us work on our business writing skills and taught us how to create a formal report. In this unit, I learned how to keep a professional tone by using the “You-Attitude.” This method focuses on understanding the reader’s point of view, showing respect, and staying positive. These skills are important for good communication in any business writing situation.

One of the main tasks in this unit was to write a draft for a formal report. I decided to look into sleep education at UBC. To get the information I needed, I did surveys UBC students. Collecting data and analyzing the results was interesting. However, it was worrying to find out that many students have sleep problems because of academic pressure and involvement in extracurricular activities. This made me realize how important it is to deal with sleep education at UBC and promote healthy sleep habits.

Writing the formal report was a very fruitful experience –  it helped me get better at doing research and analyzing data. I learned how to put data together in a way that makes sense and how to present it clearly and briefly. Getting feedback from other students during the peer review stage was also helpful, as it let me learn from their writing.

In addition to the primary learning objectives of Unit Three, I also found the process of reflection to be particularly beneficial. Throughout this unit, I frequently evaluated my progress, identifying areas of strength and noting aspects that required improvement. This self-assessment encouraged me to adjust my approach and adapt my writing style to better suit the demands of business writing.

Another important aspect of this unit was collaborating with my peers. Engaging in discussions and exchanging ideas with fellow students allowed me to expand my perspectives and gain a deeper understanding of various approaches to sleep education at UBC. This collaborative environment fostered a sense of community, making the learning experience more enjoyable and enriching.

Furthermore, I realized the value of time management and effective planning during the formal report writing process. Balancing research, data analysis, and report drafting with other academic and unexpected, serious life events reinforced the importance of setting priorities and establishing a realistic timeline for project completion. This experience has enhanced my organizational skills, which I can apply to future academic and professional projects.

In conclusion, Unit Three has not only honed my business writing skills and formal report composition abilities, but it has also provided me with opportunities for self-reflection, peer collaboration, and improved time management. I am eager to carry these learnings forward and apply them to future units and throughout my professional endeavors.